• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bacterial infection on my puppy's face

amyd

My 5 mo old puppy had a terrible smell on her face from time we got her (one month ago). I wash her face (with water) every day and clean under her eyes and dry it, but it is always wet under her eyes. I know this is common in teething puppies. I don't think the breeder ever cleaned her face, so when we got her, I think the skin on her face was already infected b/c she smelled *bad.*

The vet took a sample from her face (laid a slide on the wet area and looked under microscope) and determined she had a bacterial infection. She told me to give her an oral antibiotic b/c the ointment would be hard to apply without getting it in her eyes. We did that, but it didn't work. She still smells horrible. I called yesterday and she said to come pick up antibiotic ointment and apply it to her face and IN her eyes "right on the cornea." I don't know why I didn't ask, but she told me the first visit she didn't want me to use the ointment b/c it could sting her eyes if I got it in her eyes.

Does this sound right?? I'm leaving in a little while to pick up the medicine and can ask again, but I know it's 5 hours ahead in the UK and since many of you are there, I wanted to get my question out there! :)

Have any of your pups had a bacterial infection on the face? How was it treated?

Thanks so much!!

Amy :)

There is an ointment that is safe to be applied directly into the eye. I needed to use it for Sydney for an eye infection, but it was so long ago, that I don't remember the name of it. A friends dog had a scratched cornea and had to use the same ointment.

Hope this eases your mind a little.

Thanks, Joyce. Yes, that makes me feel better. I picked up the ointment and verified that I do, indeed, put it in her eye and on her face.

Amy :)

Our Sophie has teary, runny eyes that can smell awful and look hair that looks reddish, if I don't keep them clean. Hers are triggered by allergies; both food and environment. Her veterinarian has never said anything about a bacterial infection, so I'm not sure if it is the same thing that's going on with your puppy. I believe Sophie's is a yeast type problem, from being constantly wet, due to it's reddish classic tear stains look. I use FourPaws brand tear stain cleaner verrry carefully with a Q-Tip (I would not want to get this near her eyes), blot very well, then I rinse with a basic eye cleaning solution. http://www.amazon.com/Four-Paws-4-Ounce-Crystal-Pets/dp/B0002ASID4 I get everything at a local big box chain pet store and it works great. This is the ONLY thing that has worked for us. I will not put the Angel Eyes stuff in her food, no matter how people rave about it, because that has some sort of antibiotic.

Back