• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Show breeder

Christin1994

Hi everyone! I just wanted to ask if it was absolutely necessary to buy a puppy from a breeder who shows their dogs(as they automatically health test, or should) or if you can buy a puppy from a serious hobby breeder that doesn't show their dogs but still health tests (kind of a long shot maybe)? Thank you all:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question! Most show breeders don't properly health test, but they are a lot more likely than the vast majority of those who don't show at all. However showing is not always necessary. I do know of some committed breeders who don't show (or otherwise participate in dog competition).

Surely the most important thing is to check by seeing the original test certificates that the tests have been done, at least on the bitch the mother of the litter, but hopefully the breeder will have copies of the relevant test certificates for the stud, who might live many miles away.

Having done that, it depends whether you may want to show or work your puppy in one of the several dog activities available in your area. If you have something in mind then it would be best to go to a health testing show kennel to get a puppy likely to be good for the sport you are interested in. Otherwise, a testing hobby breeder may well have a shorter waiting list than a show kennel and have just the right companion pup for you.

I don't know what the situation is in the US, but in the UK many of the breeders who take health really seriously don't show and just breed one or two litters a year in order to give owners the best chance of having a Healthy Cavalier and to improve the breed. My friend Ann breeds one or two litters a year, does all the health tests and finds a stud who has also done them (not easy as she breeds whole colours), and all her Cavaliers are MVD and SM free; she doesn't show because she deliberately breeds for longer noses and, in spite of the breed standard, that would get her nowhere in today's show ring. You may have a hunt to find such a breeder and have to wait for a puppy, but as your best chance of getting a healthy puppy, it will be worth it.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi everyone! I just wanted to ask if it was absolutely necessary to buy a puppy from a breeder who shows their dogs(as they automatically health test, or should) or if you can buy a puppy from a serious hobby breeder that doesn't show their dogs but still health tests (kind of a long shot maybe)? Thank you all:)

I've always thought that the rationale for buying from breeders who show had nothing to do with health testing and everything to do with conformation. In other words, if you want to get a cavalier that looks like a cavalier is supposed to look, get one from a breeder who tests her dogs at conformation shows.

As for whether more show breeders health test their dogs, that may be true, due to some peer pressure by other show breeders who do test, and the fact that a lot of shows (at least in the US) offer health testing clinics.

But in the US, there are so few show breeders who health test and follow the consequent breeding protocols, that it may not make any difference between show breeders and non-show breeders.

If you want the healthiest puppy possible then I would not worry whether the breeder shows their dogs or is a hobby breeder. Just concentrate on what health certificates they are willing to show you and learn how to read the information shown on those certificates. Do not take the breeder's word the parents are health tested and clear, it is surprising how many certificates fail to materialise when the buyer actually asks to see them.

In the UK we have top breeders using a stud dog that was diagnosed with SM at under two years old. I doubt if the breeders are pointing out that little bit of information to the buyers of the puppies, but it would become obvious if the puppy buyer insisted on seeing the MRI certificate.

Back