• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leo

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I have a broken heart this morning. My little tricolour Leo got his wings today. The sweetest natured of dogs, and Jaspar's half brother, he was clearly burdened with the fast advance of his MVD in July and he declined very quickly in the past two months, after the cardiologist having been very impressed that he had held steady with an advanced murmur, needing no meds, for nearly three years.

He just celebrated his 11th birthday, a year I never thought he'd see when diagnosed with SM at 18 months. A brave little man, he lived his life with SM, and several years with MVD as well. I am, sadly, away in the US but he was his usual happy self when I departed yesterday. Chris said he was fine this morning, had his many pills, then became distressed over the next hour and then unconscious. Chris took him to the vet where he was put on a drip and morphine.

I knew what the right decision was when I woke in the US to learn all this from Chris. My trusted vet felt there was a small chance he might recover, but this would only likely be to eke out a small extra bit of time with the risk of another potentially distressing collapse, and I wanted to let him go while he was sedated and comfortable, not put him through more. It is the hardest decision, especially when I did not get to see him one more time, or be the one to hold him (Chris did that for me). But I know it was, for Leo and for me, the right one. Run pain free, my little man. You deserved a better life than to be saddled with MVD and SM. 11 years was too young.

I am so sorry to read this, Karlin. How difficult it must have been not to be there, but I know Leo must have had the most wonderful life being part of your family. RIP Leo*ng*l

Oh Karlin, I am so sorry to read this. You did everything you could to keep Leo comfortable, and though you wanted to be there for him, I believe that Leo did something for you.........to let you remember him happy and wagging his tail.

RIP sweet Leo.

How hard this must be for you, to lose a dog while you're not there. I'm so sorry. Even though you know you and Chris made the right choice, it still hurts like heck.

I have a houseful of oldies (13+, 12 and 11) and I am dreading the day when my time comes the make this post. I agree with you Karlin - 11 is too young. Keep those memories close to your heart.

Oh, Karlin, my heart aches for you. I am so sorry that you've lost Leo. It's never easy.

This is such sad news. Leo did so well for so long thanks to your loving care and at least he did not linger in pain. I'm so sorry you did not get to say a last goodbye but he was in loving arms at the end. RIP Leo xxx

So very sad to read of your news. Our thoughts are with you and your family. RIP Leo free of pain at Rainbow bridge. x

Oh Karlin I am so very sorry to read this :(
Im hugging my Leo a little tighter today...thinking of you :hug:

So very sorry to read this Karlin. It must be so bad to loose a much loved dog when you aren't with them.

I agree that 11 is too young and what you say about having the birthday you thought Leo would never see. When Rebel became symptomatic, or has one of his bad days, I think I am going to loose him, but he will reach the 12th birthday in a few weeks, God willing, that I thought his MVD and SM would never let us see.

Perhaps Leo wanted your last memory of him to be wagging and saying goodbye.

Thanks for all the kind comments. It's a bit easier today -- I've had a better night's sleep and talked to Chris and am truly glad Leo went quickly rather than having the long drawn out ups and downs many of us cope with with MVD (I went through that with Lucy). It's a nice thought that my final memories were of him in a happy state, that's true. Actually, around the time of his birthday, Chris left a box of raw food low enough that I found Leo licking his chops, having finished off the equivalent of three raw meals -- and he'd been fed by me, on top of all that! He was like a little plump football for the next 24 hours til it all came back out :lol:. He could give me those kinds of scares, but I am glad the little stinker made a successful raid in his final time with us. :) I've so many great memories of him.

I am so sad to hear about your loss. It is truly hard to lose a loved one that has touched your heart for 11 years. My heart feels your pain. Unfortunately, I will feel that pain too when Killian's day comes.
For now, I try to enjoy each day we are blessed to have him. Keep your memories close to the heart and forever talk about Leo...it does help!!!

May Leo run and wags tails with Lucy!!!

Scott
&
Killian (Blenheim- born September 25, 1997)

So sorry to hear of Leo`s sudden passing. It`s lovely that you can think of some of the wonderful memories you have of him, hopefully they will bring you comfort. Run free sweet Leo *ng*l

So sorry for your loss Karlin, another beautiful cavalier gone to the rainbow bridge.

So sorry to hear this news, Leo was such a loved and important part of your family, he was so lucky to have such a caring and devoted family, you nursed and made his life a pleasure, sending you hugs and support. A truely remarkable chappy.*ng*l xxx

Back