• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Odd behavior

ashleighelizabeth

Hi I used to post frequently when my dog was a puppy. His name is Sonny. He is now 3 years old and I'm concerned about his recent behavior. He has been hiding under the bed and not wanting to come out and when he does come out he seems confused and agitated. Any ideas what is going on?

Better get your dog checked for SM &/or PSOM. Bentley started doing stuff like that and, in fact, had been exhibiting other random symptoms ever since he was very young. Our vet finally agreed with me that he was suspect for SM and had us take him to a university vet school for a MRI. It showed rather minor SM but the PSOM (Glue Ear, as it's sometimes called) is worse. He has been on Gabapentin and sometimes Prednisone since Feb/Mar and gets along fairly well with it. When he's having an "episode" he will act frightened, look around as if he sees something nobody else sees, and go in another room and cower in a corner or under a table.
Sorry if this scares you but on medication he does pretty well and seems happy. I know he sure makes us happy!

Better get your dog checked for SM &/or PSOM. Bentley started doing stuff like that and, in fact, had been exhibiting other random symptoms ever since he was very young. Our vet finally agreed with me that he was suspect for SM and had us take him to a university vet school for a MRI. It showed rather minor SM but the PSOM (Glue Ear, as it's sometimes called) is worse. He has been on Gabapentin and sometimes Prednisone since Feb/Mar and gets along fairly well with it. When he's having an "episode" he will act frightened, look around as if he sees something nobody else sees, and go in another room and cower in a corner or under a table.
Sorry if this scares you but on medication he does pretty well and seems happy. I know he sure makes us happy!

I have to agree with this. Though I don't have personal experience with SM/CM/PSOM, I have read, on this site, of others having these same reactions. If it isn't any of the above, Sonny is certainly showing signs of discomfort or pain. Best to get him to the vet to figure it out.

Okay thank you. It's also strange because when he does come out he smells the ground and acts nervous and unsettled. We did start him on an anti anxiety medicine a couple days ago and we haven't given it regularly so we were wondering whether he could be having side effects. I will be calling my vet tomorrow.

Hi -- so sorry to hear about Sonny. Did he have an MRI for the vertebral disease diagnosis or was that on the basis of pain and symptoms? I definitely think you should pursue a clinical appointment with a neurologist to check whether they believe Sonny should be MRId or alternatively, trialled on meds for SM. Disk disease is a very common misdiagnosis for CM/SM, especially by vets. Hiding away and acting anxious would for me indicate a cavalier should definitely be checked for SM.

www.Cavalierhealth.org has a great list of neurologists across the US and Canada and in some other countries.

Please let us know how you get on and do ask any questions you wish.

I've got some information on SM at www.smcavaliers.com but there's even more detail on Cavalier Health.

If he just started a new medicine it could be he is having a reaction to it. I know on tramadol my Labrador became really anxious and would act weird. I would start with a new vet opinion and go from there. Good luck.

One of my friends actually had the name of a neurologist about an hour away so I'm going to find out if I need a referral or if I can just make an appt. I'm guessing the meds they gave us will help because it will help with swelling but then we will see everything come back when we get off meds. I'm so frustrated and sad for my dog. He does seem a little better tiday

Back