• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Heart-Breaking Decision??

Aimee89

My 9 year old Cavalier Charlotte has had CHF since January when she nearly died. Had MVD since March 2013. She has no currently got a grade 5 Heart murmur. In April she had an X-Ray the vets told me she had about 3 months left since then iv been to the vets a couple times because her lungs have filled up with fluid she had her meds tweaked each time. She was on Vetmedin Furosemide and Fortekor. She had been doing really well until Friday morning she passed out (She hasn't done so since January) and her lungs and Abdomen ( Also a new thing its only been her lungs that have filled up previously) she struggled to breathe and looked spaced out I gave her a double dose of furosemide and then I took her straight to the vets she said I done the right thing with the diuretics I do it each time her lungs fill up she had a temperature of a 104 degrees vet said she had an infection (Eye) she had a shot of antibiotics also a tube of Fuchithalmic (?) she perked right up over the weekend until yesterday she passed out had a seizure regained consciousness then passed out again she had pale lips and tongue and looked distant again straight to the vets. He didn't beat round the bush but was sensitive at the same to he suggested two things one was the three most horrible words in existence. The other is most probably our very last road we can go down before we have to start thing but the vet suggested adding Cardalis to her mountain of medication there's no guarantee it will work but at the moment anything is worth a try we go back to the vets on Thursday to find out whether she stays on this new medication or she goes to sleep. Im in absolute bits im constantly crying taking pictures of her reading the internet im trying to be strong for her. I was under no disillusions she was going to be around for along time after diagnosis I was just hoping for a bit longer. She 10 next Thursday I just want her to have her birthday I was hoping for Christmas with her as well. I live 220 miles away from my parents but spending a lot of time with them because I don't want to do this on my own plus the 4 and a half hour journeys are not do her any good and she my priority. I would never make her suffer but I don't want to lose her either. It tearing my heart out I just love her so much she's my baby I have had her since I was 15 im 25 its always me and her I live on my own with her I just don't think I can face going back home completely on my own no Charlotte no anything its heart breaking sorry for the long old rant but does any one have any sort of back from the brink sort of things with Cardlis will it give her some more time or is it time to let my baby go :':)'(

I am so sorry and saddened to read your heart breaking post. My Leo has been on cardalis since last November, combined with Vetmedin and Frusemide. He has done well but I don't know if his heart is in better condition that Charlottes. He was poorly when I first took him to the vet, his resps were up due to the fluid in his lungs.

Its a decision we ALL dread but know one day we're probably going to have to make at some point. I'll be thinking of you Thursday. Im sure how ever hard you'll make the best decision for Charlotte as you love her so much.

Take care
Mel xx

:hug:I know all too well the pain you're in and the agonizing decision you have too make. Its heartbreaking to watch and go through. My Sydney died of CHF in 2012. I too had a goal of him reaching his birthday. But he had other plans and was just 12 days shy of his 12th birthday.

Just enjoy every second you have with Charlotte. She knows how much you love her. I hope the Cardalis gives her some relief and a little more time with you.

Last edited:
I echo Mel; it is indeed heartbreaking and I have just been through this all, and lost my little Leo to MVD a week ago. :(

However, there is possibly more that could be done, having gone through this with three cavaliers now, and I'd really recommend getting to see a cardiologist right away. There are likely three or four other medication combinations that could be tried; rather than Cardalis I'd wonder about just adding prilactone to the existing mix (as that is the extra ingredient in Cardalis) or else remove fortekor, start Cardalis and try moving from frusemide to torsemide, which is a more effective diuretic. Also, there's another diuretic which is particularly good for removing that belly fluid, I always forget the name but Nicki might recall when she sees this as she always has to remind me! A cardiologist can also give you a much better sense of what exactly is going on and a finer tuned care approach.

More info here on the meds for severe stage MVD:

http://www.cavalierhealth.org/mitral_valve_disease.htm#--_severe

Here's a list of certified cardios in the UK; I'd try to get in as an urgent case right away.

http://www.vetindex.co.uk/vetindex/cardio_ref.htm

I had a girl who was also having those collapses and she got four more months of life and the collapsing stopped when I started her on prilactone and the fluid-removing med that I am blanking on....

UPDATE:
Thank you for all your replies... I sorry to hear Karlin about Leo, :'( :'(
We went back to her appointment with the vets and he's absolutely happy with her she had no fluid on the lungs or abdomen im over the moon she reached the big 10 hopefully might have her for Christmas as well :):). I don't no how long the Cardalis will be affective for but for the time being she's doing really well on it... but my tri Sydney whos 7 has started coughing and gagging like Charlotte does so we will be off to the vets with him as I can hear I slight difference I his heart compared to his twin brother Alfie sometimes it seems never ending

I'm so glad there is good news about Charlotte - Cavaliers are great little fighters. Sorry that Sydney is not so good - it does seem to be one thing after another with some Cavaliers, I'm nursing two of them myself!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

That's great news about Charlotte :jump:

Keep us updated and fingers crossed that Sydney improves too XXX

Very happy for you and Charlotte. Happy belated Birthday Charlotte.
Sorry Sydney is showing signs of heart trouble. Let us know what the vet says. Fingers crossed for good news.

Back