• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dog Gate Height?

UrbanYogini

Hi All ~

We have a baby gate that we have used for our puppy for the past couple months but it is a little too high for my daughter to climb over so I have been considering other options. I like the walk thru gates but they seem quite a bit taller than needed.

Do you all think a 21-inch height gate or 22-inch gate would be tall enough? I have pinned a couple that I am considering... and would love your thoughts / insights.

http://www.pinterest.com/shantelanay/being-a-cavalier-owner/

Also what are your thoughts on the mesh vs. vertical bar style? Even if I go with a taller gate I will have to decide between those too! If you think the 21/22-inch gates are too low what is the height you would suggest? Maya's breeder thinks she will be on the very small size even full grown so about 13lbs.

Three are from Frontgate and one is from Richell and is online at Petco too!

I did not stay on your Pinterest page very long, due to their popups wanting me to use an app or sign in via Facebook, or somesuch, that block my view (Pinterest wasn't always like that).

For a 13-lb dog, 21-22 inches might be enough to keep the dog in. I don't know if Cavaliers are jumpers. Our Sophie can hop up on furniture easily, so whatever height your sofas are at would indicate the necessary height of a dog/baby gate. We use the Regalo (link and photo below) because it opens by pushing down on a release lever with our foot . We are too old to climb over gates (at our age) and they keep our granddaughter safe when she is visiting.Very easy, but a small child is not heavy nor strong enough to open it that way.
http://www.amazon.com/Regalo-Easy-W...261807&sr=1-1&keywords=walk+through+baby+gate

1_big.png

I have a similar gate to the one waldor posted. Its about 30 inches high. Works very well. You can find them in babies r us stores. There are even some second hand stores that may have them available. Milo is my jumper at 9 mos old and hasn't gone over yet!

Sorry I did not realize pintrest had become so different. I just linked my pintrest because uploading pics on here seems to be a several step process. I do apologize.

So do you all think 30-inch is more the normal height gate needed for a Cavalier and that the 21-22 inches might be too low? Or do you all think the 21-22 inches is high enough. I should note my cavalier does not jump onto my couch she jumps onto the side of the cushion then sits for me to pick her up.... and put her on the couch.

Right now I have a 26 inch munchkin gate from Target that is too tall for my 7 year old to climb over with ease so it's not working for our needs I am considering a walk thru as an option but they all seems so tall for keeping such a small dog out.

I am considering a walk thru as an option but they all seems so tall for keeping such a small dog out.

The taller gate is a longer term investment. There will be times in the future when you might want to gate the dog in a room ( we do ). The walk thru type is safer for repair guys, painters, guests, parties, etc., so Sophie can't escape out the front door or get underfoot. It is far safer to walk through a gate than climb over it, both for you and your child. The one walk-thru we keep up is easy for anyone (visitor, repair guy, whatever) to go through as well.

Now that we sometimes babysit our grandchild, in addition to the walk-thru gate we used with Sophie, we are using two baby gates that we uses with our son 30+ years ago. They are a long term return on an investment. They are the climb-over type, so we use them for doorways we don't use while the grand is here.

At at the end of the day, only you can decide which style and height will meet your needs and be the best solution for your home. That's why there are so many different options. :cool:

Back