• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

potty training regression??

amyd

Cori is 6.5 mos. old and has only had one accident in the house (until now). That time I had taken down the baby gates so she could have access to the dining room/entry area and I looked out the window for a few seconds and turned back and she had peed a small amount on the rug under the dining room table. I think it may have been a spot our previous dog had peed on (6 years ago which had been cleaned, but...). That accident happened about a month ago.

Two days ago, I took her in the bathroom with me while I was getting ready and she peed on a small mat I took in with us. It was a mat our previous dog used to nap on. So, I was thinking maybe those 2 accidents were her just marking. Well, last night, immediately after coming inside after doing her before bed pee, she went to the mat we keep near the desk in the kitchen and she peed on it! She had just had a long pee outside. And then tonight, I took her in the living room with me and put her on the sofa with her blanket and some toys and she immediately peed on the blanket! She had just peed outside within 30 min. of her going on the blanket.

What the heck could be going on?? I don't know if it matters, but she was spayed 10 days ago. She's been recovering very nicely. I don't think she has a UTI because she doesn't have any symptoms of one and her behavior is totally normal aside from these incidents.

I'm at a loss here! Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!!

Amy

Accidents are the main symptom our Sophie has exhibited when she's had UTIs. Definitely take your dog in, and ask them to take a sterile sample, as opposed to trying to catch it yourself in a cup. A sterile sample eliminates the chance of surface bacteria from a "catch" sample, and Sophie has never been traumatized by one. (however, I would be....!)

Thanks for your reply, waldor. I think it's strange that her accidents have only been on a mat or her blanket. We keep her gated in our large kitchen (not crated) most of the time and she hasn't had any accidents there. Makes me think it's more a behavioral thing, not a UTI.

Anyone have any thoughts on that? Thanks!

Dogs with UTIs (and cats!) both almost always choose to go on mats and fabrics, blankets, rugs etc when they have a UTI. What you are seeing are pretty typical key signs for a UTI and thats what should be checked first before restarting potty training (from the beginning -- which is what needs to be done for regressions).

That said -- 6 months is really probably way too early to assume she is housetrained. Most dogs will have accidents in their first year (hence -- are not really mostly reliable until closer to 9-12 months); that and giving too much freedom too soon is what causes regressions. (y)

But I agree with others and definitely think you need to get her to the vet first as I would not think this would be a regression (and UTIs are pretty darn uncomfortable to leave to develop further, as anyone who has ever had one themselves knows! :neutral:). And then I'd have gates up and still only allow her in rooms where you are watching her. PS Potty training requires that EACH room be gradually including into the training programme. Dogs (especially puppies) will not generalise from an enclosed area in which they have been housetrained, to other rooms or other houses. As they get much older and more mature most will gradually get the idea of 'inside' vs 'outside' but I'd never ever assume a dog will be accident free in a strange house and always manage my dogs accordingly. :)

Thanks Karlin and waldor, I am definitely calling the vet first thing in the morning. I don't know why I didn't think it could be a UTI--so dumb.

As an aside--I called the breeder to get her opinion and she was livid that the vet didn't put Cori on antibiotics after her spay. I did request they do that, but they sent me home with Rimadyl (an anti-inflammatory) and Tramadol. Again--so dumb that I didn't realize she wasn't on an antibiotic. And they told me to keep the "doughnut" (cone) on her for 14 days. We took it off a few days early b/c she was looking so good, but I think because she wasn't able to groom as well down there, it might have contributed to her getting a UTI. Ugh! The breeder thought 14 days was too long to wear a cone, too.

Also, the breeder said they should never be given Rimadyl and Tramadol together. She had 2 girls get really sick after being on Rimadyl. I thought I was going to the best vet in our area, but now I'm not so sure. :(

Thanks again--don't know what I'd do without you guys!

Amy

Hi Amy -

When one of my chins were spayed a few years back, I had the exact same issue. It was a UTI, and once cured, no more accidents. She would be walking along in the house and just stop and pee.

However, if you can throw out the mats and blanket that were soiled, I would do that. No pointing in tempting fate.

joan

I don't know why I didn't think it could be a UTI--so dumb.

As an aside--I called the breeder to get her opinion and she was livid that the vet didn't put Cori on antibiotics after her spay.

Amy

Not 'dumb', just a learning event. I never knew the symptoms of UTI until we got Sophie, who had several as a puppy, and learned the symptoms by reading the forum here at CavalierTalk.

Also, I can never remember any of my females being put on antibiotics after a spay procedure. I could be wrong, but I just don't recall it.

Neither BellaMia or Milo were on antibiotics after their spay/neuter. We were given Tramadol for pain if needed.

Hi guys,
Well, I had Cori to the vet this morning and she does not have a UTI. They couldn't find anything wrong with her, but the vet agreed it sounded like signs of a UTI or at least of not feeling well. She seems a little better today, but is resting in her crate more than usual. She's not following me around with her tail between her legs or hiding under the table today, though, so she seems better in that regard. She still runs around in the yard happily when she goes outside.

I'm going to get her little mat back out and put it on the kitchen floor and see if she pees on it again today.

The vet said it is uncommon, but sometimes when they do a spay, some adhesions can form on/attached to the bladder and maybe she is getting a sensation from that. She gave me a 5 day supply of Rimadyl (anti-inflammatory) to give her to see if it makes any difference. She told me to just watch her behavior and let her know if she doesn't seem to be getting better.

Really stumped on this!

Glad Cori saw the vet but was wondering if a Urinalysis done? Seems like that would be done since a physical exam showed nothing wrong. I would have definitely requested one.

I also agree with Karlin, if she is healthy, you may have to start housetraining from the beginning. 6.5 months is really young for a dog to be reliable.

Last edited:
Hi Joyce,
Yes, a urinalysis was done and it determined she didn't have a UTI. There was no bacteria, red blood cells, or white blood cells present.

It seems so strange that she just peed on those mats and blanket--and each time was shortly after she had peed outside. The mats and blanket on the sofa weren't new to her, nor were they in rooms that were new to her.

I don't expect her to be reliable at 6.5 mos., but those instances seemed so specific, for lack of a better word. And they happened within 30 min of her peeing outside. Plus, with her acting like she didn't feel well...

I'm going to see how she does over the next couple days and if she has another accident, I'll go back to the beginning with housetraining.

Thanks again! :)

It's good that you are able to rule out UTI and know she is not suffering, but being a naughty puppy instead. Back to Potty Training 101!

Back