• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

It was all going too well..

-leah-

Hello all,

It's been a long, long time since I posted here. Holly is now 9 and has SM 4 years. She is currently on Gabapentin 200mg 3 times a day, Furosemide 20mg twice a day and Zydol 50mg twice a day, she also gets trocoxcil once a month for control of arthritic pain.

Symptom wise she had been doing really well, she gets her Gabapentin at 7/8 on the morning, 1/2 in the afternoon and then 7/8 in the evening. Every evening at around 6 she starts to get some break through symptoms, this is also the time that we eat dinner so we think it's a combination of her being almost due her meds coupled with hyperstimulation as she gets very excited about food. She is always in good form, loves going out for walks and pottering about with her brother.

Unfortunately she has taken a bad turn this week. Late last week she started having breakthrough symptoms earlier in the day sometimes at around 3 or 4 and some days at 10 or 11 before her afternoon tablet is due. These symptoms include 'digging' up her bed/doormat/bathmats, face-rubbing accompanied by growling and small barks and tail-chasing. She can be easily distracted though and will generally settle quickly. Over the past few days though she has been displaying a new behaviour where she does a sudden yelp and then runs to hide and trembles for a while afterwards. She spent most of the day under the kitchen table yesterday. This is happening 3-4 times a day and there is no obvious physical cause, it happens at rest and when she is walking around.

I spoke to our vet at length about it this morning, she recommended to add in an extra Furosemide with her afternoon Gabapentin, keep stimualtion low, no exercise and observe. I have physically examined Holly, there is no obvious joint pain, ears & mouth look clear, no sensitive spots along her spine, eating and drinking normally and no difficulty with urinating or with bowel movements. The only other thing that has been slightly out of the ordinary is that she's been licking at herself when she comes in after urinating, not every time but once a day at least so I am going to drop a sample in for analysis on Monday as she has had UTIs in the past.

I would love to hear from any of you who have been in a similar situation or anyone who has any advice which may help.

Back