Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Cavalier pups finicky eaters?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are Cavalier pups finicky eaters?

Are Cavalier pups finicky eaters?

Our 9-month-old pups seem to be finicky eaters. Is this typical of the breed? Although they exercise vigorously, they sometimes eat only half their daily meal. Should we be concerned?

Roy and Jean

Post Thanks / Like

How much are you feeding? Do they get lots of treats between meals? Could be they've had their fill and just need less food. Since its both of them leaving food, I doubt its anything medical.

If you can give a little more info, we may be able to help you better.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Are you using the recommended feeding amounts given on the food packet or tin? If so, you're giving much too much. The manufacturers want to sell food, so they overstate what a dog needs. You could try reducing the weight of the food by half, see if it is all eaten and if it is, then give a little more. If you are offering too much now, eventually you will find the right amount for your dogs.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Boys
    Winston Alexande and Little Joe
    Birmingham, UK

4. Likes waldor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We are feeding them one cup each of Blue Buffalo dog food, once a day. They each get a treat of one Milk-Bone cookie when they return to the house after being outside. (We do this four or five times a day.)

Both pups have a lot of energy and haven't lost weight, but their eating habits are erratic.

Roy and Jean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rtroxel View Post
    We are feeding them one cup each of Blue Buffalo dog food, once a day. They each get a treat of one Milk-Bone cookie when they return to the house after being outside. (We do this four or five times a day.)

Both pups have a lot of energy and haven't lost weight, but their eating habits are erratic.

Roy and Jean
    to give you a comparison:

I have a 2.5 year old, male 25 lb. ckc. I feed the buffalo blue small breed dry food. He gets 1/4 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup in the evening. I mix a little wet food in with both meals. Minimal treats are given. I would say his activity level is normal.

your pups are getting double what Bosco eats. I'm sure Bosco would eat more if I gave it to him, but he'd probably weigh about 30 lbs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joandesan View Post
    just to give you a comparison:

I have a 2.5 year old, male 25 lb. ckc. I feed the buffalo blue small breed dry food. He gets 1/4 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup in the evening. I mix a little wet food in with both meals. Minimal treats are given. I would say his activity level is normal.

your pups are getting double what Bosco eats. I'm sure Bosco would eat more if I gave it to him, but he'd probably weigh about 30 lbs!
    I agree. Bella is 2.5 yrs and Milo is 11 months. I feed them both as Joan does above. You're giving them a lot of Milk Bones. Maybe cut them into pieces so that their total intake for the day is only 1cookie.
    Last edited by Sydneys Mom; 14th December 2014 at 08:55 PM.

Sydney (

Post Thanks / Like

I also feed the same amount as Joan does with the wet mixed in and my little dude is 16 lbs and active at the age of 2 years.

When I do give treats, it is usually dehydrated lambs lung pieces or a half of dehydrated beef gullet chew which are both high in protein and low in calories.

He was not a big eater when he was younger and still isn't now. He will sometimes wait 30 minutes or so before eating because he knows if he waits longer we will pick it up. He does have his hungry days though if he has been particularly active or if the weather is cooler.
    Sir Remington II (Remy) Oct. 17, 2012 -

Post Thanks / Like

We are feeding them one cup each of Blue Buffalo dog food, once a day. Roy and Jean
    I would also suggest feeding their daily allotment twice a day, with a small treat in the afternoon. Also baby carrots make a great treat. If the dogs seem hungrier than usual, I would add some green beans to their meal.

How is their weight?

Sydney (

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneys Mom View Post
    I would also suggest feeding their daily allotment twice a day, with a small treat in the afternoon. Also baby carrots make a great treat. If the dogs seem hungrier than usual, I would add some green beans to their meal.

How is their weight?
    They both weigh around 14 or 15 pounds now.

We do fed them carrots from time to time.

Roy and Jean

Post Thanks / Like

They both weigh around 14 or 15 pounds now.

We do fed them carrots from time to time.

Roy and Jean

Sounds like their weight is fine. Since you say that they are leaving 1/2 their food in the dish, I would simply cut back on the food provided and save some money.