• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Are Cavalier pups finicky eaters?

rtroxel

Are Cavalier pups finicky eaters?

Our 9-month-old pups seem to be finicky eaters. Is this typical of the breed? Although they exercise vigorously, they sometimes eat only half their daily meal. Should we be concerned?

Roy and Jean

How much are you feeding? Do they get lots of treats between meals? Could be they've had their fill and just need less food. Since its both of them leaving food, I doubt its anything medical.

If you can give a little more info, we may be able to help you better.

Are you using the recommended feeding amounts given on the food packet or tin? If so, you're giving much too much. The manufacturers want to sell food, so they overstate what a dog needs. You could try reducing the weight of the food by half, see if it is all eaten and if it is, then give a little more. If you are offering too much now, eventually you will find the right amount for your dogs.

We are feeding them one cup each of Blue Buffalo dog food, once a day. They each get a treat of one Milk-Bone cookie when they return to the house after being outside. (We do this four or five times a day.)

Both pups have a lot of energy and haven't lost weight, but their eating habits are erratic.

Roy and Jean

We are feeding them one cup each of Blue Buffalo dog food, once a day. They each get a treat of one Milk-Bone cookie when they return to the house after being outside. (We do this four or five times a day.)

Both pups have a lot of energy and haven't lost weight, but their eating habits are erratic.

Roy and Jean

to give you a comparison:

I have a 2.5 year old, male 25 lb. ckc. I feed the buffalo blue small breed dry food. He gets 1/4 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup in the evening. I mix a little wet food in with both meals. Minimal treats are given. I would say his activity level is normal.

your pups are getting double what Bosco eats. I'm sure Bosco would eat more if I gave it to him, but he'd probably weigh about 30 lbs!

just to give you a comparison:

I have a 2.5 year old, male 25 lb. ckc. I feed the buffalo blue small breed dry food. He gets 1/4 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup in the evening. I mix a little wet food in with both meals. Minimal treats are given. I would say his activity level is normal.

your pups are getting double what Bosco eats. I'm sure Bosco would eat more if I gave it to him, but he'd probably weigh about 30 lbs!

I agree. Bella is 2.5 yrs and Milo is 11 months. I feed them both as Joan does above. You're giving them a lot of Milk Bones. Maybe cut them into pieces so that their total intake for the day is only 1cookie.

Last edited:
I also feed the same amount as Joan does with the wet mixed in and my little dude is 16 lbs and active at the age of 2 years.

When I do give treats, it is usually dehydrated lambs lung pieces or a half of dehydrated beef gullet chew which are both high in protein and low in calories.

He was not a big eater when he was younger and still isn't now. He will sometimes wait 30 minutes or so before eating because he knows if he waits longer we will pick it up. He does have his hungry days though if he has been particularly active or if the weather is cooler.

We are feeding them one cup each of Blue Buffalo dog food, once a day. Roy and Jean

I would also suggest feeding their daily allotment twice a day, with a small treat in the afternoon. Also baby carrots make a great treat. If the dogs seem hungrier than usual, I would add some green beans to their meal.

How is their weight?

I would also suggest feeding their daily allotment twice a day, with a small treat in the afternoon. Also baby carrots make a great treat. If the dogs seem hungrier than usual, I would add some green beans to their meal.

How is their weight?

They both weigh around 14 or 15 pounds now.

We do fed them carrots from time to time.

Roy and Jean

They both weigh around 14 or 15 pounds now.

We do fed them carrots from time to time.

Roy and Jean

Sounds like their weight is fine. Since you say that they are leaving 1/2 their food in the dish, I would simply cut back on the food provided and save some money.

We feed our Cavalier twice a day with 1/2 portion at each meal. Her treats are dry kibble and she gets only one or two , once a day after the bedtime walk.

The Milk Bones fall into the "junk food" category for dogs. They're not bad for dogs, but they're not good nutrition. At some point, they're filling the dogs' stomach to the point where they don't want their "good" food. Even if you're giving puppy size Milk Bones, break them into thirds (difficult with Milk Bones) or find something smaller. There are a lot of good small dog treats in the specialty stores that are a bit more smelly (dogs love that) and better/healthier than milk bones.

Back