• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

8 week old puppy or 16 week please help!

SaoirseS

Hi im new here and getting a king charles next week I have been thinking for the last few months what breed would suit our lifestyle and the king charles seems to be the best! There is 2 dog breeder that seem good have done all the test of puppies etc. My problem now is should I go for a 8 week old or a 16 week old? I have a toddler and am worried that the 16 week will not be as friendly to my toddler as the 8 week old is still young and has been around the breeders children so its used to children.
Any info would be a great help, I'm totally lost on what to do. I seem to like the breeder with the 16 week old better but the pup has never been around children.
Thanks

Hi Saoirse! I think most of us here would say to go for the 16 week puppy -- 8 weeks is generally considered very young for rehoming this breed's puppies as they are still so small (especially if there are any children around the home). Also, a 16 week old will be much more confident and on its way to housetraining etc. It seems a little strange that for a small scale breeder (if this is in Ireland, I assume IKC registered?) an 8 week pup would be exposed to kids and not the 16 week old -- why the difference? Are you sure they have bred these dogs themselves?

Keep in mind most good breeders won't rehome a dog into a new home right over the Christmas period, especially if there are children as the activity and strange people in and out, noise and activity can seriously stress out a new puppy or adult dog.

Breeders often say they 'test' but the actual tests they need to have done include cardiologist exams and MRIs and most have not done these. I cannot stress enough how important they are for breeding dogs due to the high rate of two potentially costly and serious genetic illnesses in the breed, which most do eventually get (though not all will be symptomatic or need medications). You can get proper info on the correct tests and the certs the breeder should be able to show you here: www.cavalierpuppy.co.uk

We've got some good info on bringing a dog into a home with a toddler and young kids pinned at the top of the training section. These should be very helpful. To be honest, a toddler should be kept separate always from a puppy or adult dog anyway except for when an adult is right there managing the interaction at arm's length. It doesn't matter the breed, children tend to do things that easily cause dogs to get seriously stressed which can over time result in fear aggression or an immediate snap. A small toddler falling on a puppy by accident could seriously harm or kill a puppy as well. A puppy will need to be completely penned off from a small child (or vice versa) -- there's lots of info at the pinned links, from good trainers. :)

Hope that helps a bit. I would guess you are in the UK or Ireland and would just stress there are only a handful of properly testing breeders in these countries )or anywhere) so it is important to make sure a given breeder is one of them.

The fact that a breeder with supposedly only two breeding dogs has puppies so close in age available just raises some possible red flags. Responsible breeders and especially small breeders would only so rarely have litters close together, especially only two months apart. It suggests they are breeding for commercial reasons as well. I could be totally wrong of course but from a decade of experience of doing cavalier rescue in Ireland and working to tackle puppy farms and backyard breeders in this country, there are certain alarm bells and far too many breeders ready to dupe trusting buyers.

Hi
I got Leo when he was 18 weeks and he has been a dream from the second I picked him up :) I think 8 weeks sounds a bit young, plus Leo was house trained when he came home so that helped big time.
He was well tempered with the children and easy to train......

My only advice is do your homework before you bring which ever puppy home as its not worth the heart ache you'll endure if you don't.

Good luck
Mel

Hi Karlin,
Thank you so much for all the information... It is my first time to own a king charles and I'm really looking forward to it. Sorry I don't think I made it clear they are two separate breeders and the breeder with the 16 week old has told me she has never been around children. That just makes me worried because I read that up to 16 weeks is a really important time for your puppy and it's when they except things the most..
Thank again :)

Hi Mel,
Thank you for replying to my question, could I ask was Leo around children before you got him?
Thanks

Definitely get the older puppy. At eight weeks the puppy will be going through bite inhibition stage and will bite everything including your child. The older puppy will be past that stage, but onto the teething stage so make sure to get plenty of toys. :D

Back