• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

AXA stops insuring pets. At the murcy of the company taking over.

*Pauline*

Dylan's insurance policy ends on the 28th this month. I called AXA today and they said I should have been contacted a month ago by the new company who is taking over their customers. They gave me the number of the new company (sorry I forget the name) who said they won't work out a new price for me until 21 days before my contract with AXA ends. Then they will write to me, giving me even less than 3 weeks notice. One lady told the BBC her policy price increased from £26.81 a month to £190.26 a month with the switch to the new insurer.

Dylan's meds cost over £100 a month, if this new company is to make any profit out of me, I'm in big trouble. Will I have to put my poor baby to sleep because I can't afford the policy?

Poppy's policy ends in April. She is on less meds but they cost about the same as Dylan's.

Has as anyone else death with this change over?

I've been contacted by them. I knew Aled's premium would go up because he went into heart failure last July, had 24 hours intensive care and a thorough going over by a cardiologist; and his medication costs around £130 a month. But I felt a premium of £181 was a bit much (and I really can't afford it), and after discussion with our vet decided to stop insuring Aled. He needs occasional blood tests and his medication, but anything more serious than that, requiring a lot of treatment or a general anaesthetic, will be beyond his heart to cope with, so will require palliative care only. I don't think the new insurers, NCI, are any more greedy than other insurers, they just get many more expensive claims than they used to and aren't a charity.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

It was £30 a month, but I knew that after last year it would go up - just a bit gobsmacked by how much!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Leo is insured with Petprotect.....they have always been very good at paying out. My premium has gone up since he developed MVD & CHF......last year they wrote to me to "suggest" I got Leo's meds from an online vet site as its cheaper.
I discussed this with my vet and its something I'll have to look in....

It seems such a con that you pay and pay and when you really need them they almost out price you!

Pauline I do hope Dylan is doing well......sending brotherly hugs your way XX

I think the real problem here, and with all due respect to the majority of reasonable and caring vets around, is that so many vets recommend unnecessary and expensive procedures because they know it is the insurers and not the client who will be paying the final bill. They think the sky's the limit. Of course somebody has to pay the true cost in the end and of course that means that the insurers reflect the excesses in the premiums they charge their clients.

It's tough when these changes happen and can mean making difficult choices. Once pets get past around 7 or 8 the premiums often go way up anyway, as they won;t cover as much any longer (50% rather than the full cost with my insurer) and most insurers really seem to start to raise premiums on animals where they are paying out a lot for procedures or medications.

I would only do palliative care in many cases with pets, regardless, especially if they are older; just don't believe in putting them through procedures that they may struggle to recover from.

I only have one of our 9 dogs and none of the cats on insurance. That's more because Jaspar has always been on it.

I think given the health issues in cavaliers, we owners face extra difficult decisions as so many will need diagnostic tests that can be costly, and medications that can be costly, and likely will not be covered by insurance over time. :( No easy answers I am afraid.

Mel, I get almost all our meds online. Some of them are cheaper from the local pharmacy (200 gabapentin for £14, for example), but if you look around, you can usually find a good deal online. The only question is how much your vet will charge you for the prescriptions. Our vets charge between £2.50 and £6, depending how many prescriptions I get at a time. This has to be added onto the cost of the medication - though I claimed the cost of the prescriptions from the insurers, who never seemed to mind paying for them.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

To jump from £30 to £181 in Kate's case is clearly not covering existing conditions as this price exceeds the price of the drugs. I'll be ringing the ombudsman in the morning and the PDSA.

It's tough when these changes happen and can mean making difficult choices. Once pets get past around 7 or 8 the premiums often go way up anyway, as they won;t cover as much any longer (50% rather than the full cost with my insurer) and most insurers really seem to start to raise premiums on animals where they are paying out a lot for procedures or medications.

I would only do palliative care in many cases with pets, regardless, especially if they are older; just don't believe in putting them through procedures that they may struggle to recover from.

Things seem to be a bit different over on this side of the pond.

Tucker is 12 1/2 years old, and his monthly premium just went from $67 to $80 (52 GBP). I started insuring him when he was 8 years old (and he had no pre-existing conditions other than one luxated patella), and his premiums have risen steadily (but within reason) from year to year because of his age; however, our insurance companies do not seem to raise the premium based on claims made, just based on age of pet and zip code. My plan's terms have been the same and will never change unless I change them - $200 deductible per condition and 20% co-payment. Those are the terms that I selected based on premium, and different deductibles and co-payments are available. The terms do not change as the dog gets older.

That said, I've paid more in premiums over the years than I've collected because Tucker has not had any serious conditions, large vet bills, and he is on no medications. I'm just now actually getting SOMETHING back - I've just prepared this year's claims, and with about $1,300 of bills (two dentals, two sets of chest x-rays, three blood chems, and two cardiology exams) I'll collect about $720 in payments. The only reason I can collect now is that he has mild valvular disease so he now has a "diagnosis" and the tests are to monitor the disease.

Annual premium for my 10 year old cat just went from $217 to 273 (now 15 GBP per month). I've never made any claims, but the premium is low enough that I want to keep coverage because things happen to a 10 year old cat! My terms for his policy are only a 10% co-payment. Cats' policies are cheaper.

Regarding the palliative care thought - I've found that effective treatment that can really make a difference in quality of life (not something "heroic") can be expensive. For example, my 14 year old shih tzu was hospitalized in January of 2014 when she ruptured a mitral valve chord and went into acute congestive heart failure. She just received supportive care - oxygen cage, and later IV fluids for her kidneys, meds, and tests. She recovered after 2-3 weeks and is now completely stable on pimobendan with no symptoms at all of heart failure and her kidney values are back to normal. I spent about $3,500 on her treatment for those several weeks. I don't regret it a bit as she has a wonderful quality of life and is still going strong at 14 years, 6 months. Her vet costs are low again, about $15 per month for Vetmedin and blood chem/chest x-ray every six months or so. Cardiologist said at last visit that he'll see her in a year unless something changes. I certainly would not do surgery for this dog or treat her for cancer or similar. But I would consider a brief hospitalization to stabilize an older dog and routine testing and medications, and those are not cheap, so I've kept Tucker insured. The shih tzu (Roxie) was never insured, and even with the big bill last year, I've come out better than I would have if I had paid premiums for 14 years. But I plan to keep up Tucker's insurance since I've had it and the premiums seem reasonable. I must admit that I'm also a little superstitious about dropping it now!

Pat

Having had several anxiety attacks this evening over what to do and how I will cope financially, I decided to ring my close friend who also dog sits for me if I go out for the day (I can't go on holiday or visit my daughter in Sweden as Dylan is on so many meds, no one really wants to look after him because it does take a lot of nursing. He can not blink after his face got paralysed down one side his dry eyes and ingrown eyelashes need constant care). Anyway, she's made me realise Dylan is in pain. I knew it but I'm in pain every day (I'm on Pregabalin like Dylan) so I kind of accept pain as part of life sometimes but, despite the drugs, I think Dylan is in pain. Therefore, I am considering letting him go. It's going to be the hardest day of my life. I love this boy SO much. When we went to see clare Rusbridge this summer, she scanned him and said he had glue ear and she found a heart murmur. He has dry eye, ingrown eyelashes, vestibular disease, a head tilt and his face is paralysed on one side do he can't blink on that side. It's all a bit much really...isn't it? It took this conversation with my friend to realise it. I hope no one thinks it's because of the money because I would spend all my savings on Dylan if needed.

Pauline, I'm in the same situation with both my Cavaliers - 13-year-old Oliver has increasingly paralysed back legs and his mild CM/SM seems to be slowly getting worse; he's managing OK so far, still enjoys gentle walks and food. Aled is in heart failure, and as the vet said, is living on borrowed time. So both of them are on what I call Quality of Life Watch. While remembering that they don't know they are ill, it's whether they are still enjoying life or are just battling on from day to day that's the ultimate question. Aled will probably just go when his heart finally fails; it's much tougher to know what to do about Oliver, when his heart is strong, he's eating well and there are things like walks that he still enjoys. Have you talked to your vet about Dylan? But in the end it is you (and me) who have to make the decision, and I hope we can do it wisely and lovingly.

:hug:

Kate, Oliver and Aled

So sorry to read this about Dylan, my heart goes out to you Pauline.
I know since joining Cavalier Talk and reading your posts how much
he means to you and how hard it will be to let him go. Keeping you
in my thoughts.

Nanette. xx

I am so very sorry to read what you are going through with Dylan and I know he and you have been through so much over the years and you are a very loving owner. Having lost Jasper in August and him being on medication from 9 years old until the end, I know how hard it is to let them go, he was insured from 9 months old until he was 10 years until basically the Insurance Company priced us out as we knew he would never be able to have an operation etc because of his heart, he only ever had medication for his heart and just a few other minor things over the years, so we certainly paid in much more than we got out, but with putting up the excess and then a percentage of the bill it was just not worth it. Ollie who will be 5 this year is insured from a little pup and it costs about £32 he is a healthy dog and never needed to claim. Will be thinking of you.:hug:

It is a hard decision. If you trust your vet or Dr Rusbridge I would ask them what they would do and if they feel he has adequate quality of life at this point. Almost every time I have needed to let a loved dog or cat go, I have asked for the opinion of the medical/vet experts I trust for an honest opinion. Often as owners, due to our own strong emotions, we cannot see when we are asking a much loved pet to stay alive for us, rather than because they have a decent quality of life. I trust my vets as well as Clare Rusbridge and would always greatly value their honest opinion and would take that advice to confirm what I would likely know in my heart should be done but perhaps cannot clearly see. It is one of those points where I greatly value a more objective perspective and experts are best placed to give it.

When our dogs have given so much to us over the years there comes a point when we are asking too much of them to hang on only for us. We have the gift of that great kindness, to release them from their pain gently, at a time when it becomes too much. If I felt I could not make that judgement I would ask for a trusted opinion; perhaps that time has come with Dylan and would remove the worry from the extra issue of insurance, more to one of where he is at right now and what is best for him. It is a hard place to be and many of us fully understand how hard this is. :flwr: Thinking of you.

Back