• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Our puppy getting spayed

Bocco

Our puppy Sansa has her appointment to get Spayed at the end of February. She will be about 6 1/2 months at the time. It sure seems young to me. We were told that she will need to limit activity for 2 weeks so she doesn't pull the stitches. She is a very active dog when she's awake. Not sure how to keep her laying down when she wants to jump around and play.

Any suggestions?

Gary

Is Sansa crate trained? That is the best way to keep her from running and jumping. If she is not crate trained, you may want to start that now so she will be used to it by the time she is spayed. During her first few days, she probably won't want to move around much anyway. You can hold her on you lap and, she can walk around a bit, just make sure she is always in reach so she doesn't try to jump. Also, when you take her out for potty, make sure she is on a leash, so you will be better able to keep her from running off looking for some adventure.

While she is in her crate, you can give her a chew toy or bully stick to keep her occupied.

I had pretty active pups and never had a problem with pulling out stitches post spaying. They pretty much are zonked out the day of the spay, and move a bit gingerly the next day. I would keep her from jumping on the couch, but she should be just fine in her day to day activities.

Well I had my dates wrong. It was yesterday. She got spayed, chipped, a herniated naval fixed and her last three baby teeth extracted. She didn't eat all day yesterday and her little tummy was growling this morning. She was happy to be fed. So far she is pretty laid back but doesn't like the cone. I think the cone might be to big for her. I'm wondering if I should trim it a bit as long as it is still big enough to keep her from chewing the stitches.

Well I had my dates wrong. It was yesterday. She got spayed, chipped, a herniated naval fixed and her last three baby teeth extracted. She didn't eat all day yesterday and her little tummy was growling this morning. She was happy to be fed. So far she is pretty laid back but doesn't like the cone. I think the cone might be to big for her. I'm wondering if I should trim it a bit as long as it is still big enough to keep her from chewing the stitches.

You could try her a bit without the cone. Mine hated the cone, and once I took it off I noticed that they had no interest in pulling out the stitches. If you see her going towards the stitches, she will have to wear the cone, but maybe your will be lucky.

I can't imagine that trimming the cone would be a problem. If that makes her feel better, go for it.

Poor baby.....I'm sure she will perk up in a day or two. When BellaMia was spayed, I used a baby onsie. She was much more comfortable with that then the cone

IMG_20130302_143127.jpg

Poor baby.....I'm sure she will perk up in a day or two. When BellaMia was spayed, I used a baby onsie. She was much more comfortable with that then the cone

IMG_20130302_143127.jpg

This might be worth a try in a day or two. I might be hitting the Walmart baby dept. soon. And thanks for the cute picture. Sansa does seem to be feeling better already. She is getting a bit more energetic.

Gary

P.S. those white toes are so cute.

Well. Tried the onesy. It looked like a good idea but she wiggled out of it in the middle of the night. So she gets a few more days with the cone. I think whats really throwing her off is that she's not getting walked and very little play time in general as we are trying to keep her less active.

Yes Sansa is back to her old self. No more cone. No more medication. When I took the cone off of her she must have spent an hour just licking and grooming herself.

Back