• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hard to cut, locking leashes?

dandelos

Does anyone here use locking leashes? Whenever I need to run into a store real quick and Skippy isn't allowed inside, I tie him up outside, but obviously anyone can easily undo his leash and take him away, so invariably I have to keep looking out to make sure he's okay.

I've only been able to come across 4 locking leashes being sold online so far --

1) http://www.stayboylock.com/the-stayboy-lock-product-page/

2) http://www.amazon.com/PAWZ-Safespot-Locking-Dog-Leash/dp/B00F5ZKLPE

3) http://www.thegoldielock.com/

4) http://k9lock.com/id19.htm

I would pull the trigger on #1, but unfortunately it looks like they are no longer in business. Not too keen on #2 and #3 because keys are necessary. As for #4, I just found that and will have to study it a little more closely.

If anyone has any feedback or experience with the above (or other alternatives) I am all ears. Thanks!

Can't help, I'm afraid; here in the UK we discourage people from leaving dogs outside stores (unless it is a small store where the dog can easily be kept in sight). The last two Cavaliers stolen in Coventry were found torn to pieces a few days later, clearly having been used as bait for fighting dogs. Even if your lead locks, could people not undo or cut the collar? All they would need to do is look at it one day and come with the right tools the next time they see Skippy tied up...

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I think cavaliers are too cute to be left outside any store,and if the wrong person came along at the "right" time... I can't even think of it. There was an instance in NYC about a year ago, where someone's cav was stolen from in front of a deli. It was around the holidays and the family was heartbroken. Turned out, someone stole the Cav and was trying to sell it as a Christmas gift. Fortunately, a kind soul figured out what was going on, bought the dog, and managed to connect the dog with his owners. Very happy (and lucky) ending for dog and family.

Bosco cries like a banshee when I leave him outside with one of my kids to run into the bakery, so I can't even imagine what would happen if I ever left him alone. I don't think I could do. I would carry him in with me first.

Though it may be convenient, I have to strongly agree with Kate and Joan. There is way too much temptation for unscrupulous people to harm or try to take your dog. Another thought is some innocent person may just want to pet a cute dog like Skippy. He may get scared of the stranger and react badly.

I would leave him home during errands if you know the store doesn't allow dogs.

Kate: The systems I've seen include the collar portion, so you can't use your original collar when using the locking 'leash'.

joan: I remember that incident and did watch a news report about it!

All: I do appreciate all the concern but just to clarify, even if I had a locking leash I still wouldn't leave Skippy outside of a store and completely out of sight for a long period of time. Without a locking leash, the only times I have been comfortable to leave him outside a store so far have been at places like Starbucks or other coffee shops with outdoors seating areas, typically with a fair amount of other people sitting around drinking their coffee and whatnot. I do also take what neighborhood I'm in into consideration -- here in Los Angeles county there is a wide spectrum of what you would consider safe and what you wouldn't. I try to select a table that can be viewed from the inside when I'm queuing, and then secure Skippy via his leash on top of a chair (lined with a towel, of course). Then I go in to get my grub, and every few moments I steal a glance outside to make sure all is okay. I would still employ the same level of skepticism and security if I had a locking leash, except that I would have some additional peace of mind.

Dandelos-

Please don't think for a second that I questioned your judgement about leaving Skippy. I'm just relating my feelings about leaving Bosco. I do know that Starbucks will not let you bring a dog in, because I once tried. LOL!! If you feel comfortable leaving Skippy while you run in, I'm sure Skippy is fine.

Hope you find the collar you are looking for!

Joan

Back