• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pups change eating and pooping habits...

rtroxel

Two months ago, we thought we had our two pups, Fred and Ginger, close to house-trained. They were also eating a regular meal each day of 3/4 cup of puppy kibble each.

However, as soon as the cold weather struck (freezing temps and down to the 'teens at night), they could stay outside for only five minutes at a time. They didn't use that time for voiding themselves, but for running around the yard. Consequently, when they returned inside the house, they would poop and/or whizz on the floors.

Additionally, they would go up to 48 hours without eating. We finally had to "sweeten" the meals with teaspoons of chicken broth or the more expensive canned foods.

Is it possible they will return to more "regular" behavior, with warmer weather? (Thery are now ten months old)

Thanks, in advance,

Roy and Jean

Those pups are keeping you on your toes. I live in NYC, with frigid temps at times. Granted, none of my dogs (I have 3 small ones), likes the cold, BUT, they do relieve themselves outside the house. Your pups have to go back to square one -- this is not a temporary weather-related condition. If they do not relieve themselves when they are outside, they have to be crated or contained in a small area and not be given the oppty to develop bad habits. You may have to go outside with them to let them know it is "potty time", no fun and games. I'm sure you know all the rules of potty training -- time and patience. I will say that my Japanese Chin were trained by 4 months, whereas, Bosco took almost 1 year to be fully trust-worthy. Not sure why, but I was back to "square one" with him a few times. Good news is that we eventually got where we needed to be and he is completely trustworthy now.

Joan

Back