• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need an outside crate for our pups

rtroxel

Our two pups, Fred and Ginger, are still at the "chewing and pulling" stage. Inside the house, we can keep them away from the furniture. clothing and other objects by crating them (with a treat) or by just saying "No!".

However, they do need outside exercise. Unfortunately, if we let them loose in the yard , they will dig it up, pull on the plants and do other things to wreak havoc.

We have considered building a separate fenced-in area, since we live on two acres, to give the pups an an area to romp around. But how large an area?

I've also seen ads online for pre-built "crates" for outdoor use. Has anyone here had any experience with them? One of them measured 10x10 feet,but I'm not sure if that's enough running space for the pups, since they are almost a year old.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Roy and Jean

I think what you might be looking for is an exercise pen (aka x-pen or ex-pen).

You can get two (or more) of them and put them together to give them more room. I'd bet a lot of people in the group have experience with them. I know I do. I have a small one i use in the summer on my front porch when I eat outside. I put my two in there and give them a raw meaty bone or some homemade frozen yogurt to enjoy and then can watch what's going on outside, enjoy their treat and I know they are safe.

I think what you might be looking for is an exercise pen (aka x-pen or ex-pen).

You can get two (or more) of them and put them together to give them more room. I'd bet a lot of people in the group have experience with them. I know I do. I have a small one i use in the summer on my front porch when I eat outside. I put my two in there and give them a raw meaty bone or some homemade frozen yogurt to enjoy and then can watch what's going on outside, enjoy their treat and I know they are safe.

What size would you recommend? Also what brand?

Thanks much,

Roy and Jean

I got mine a long time ago, but I'd get one taller than you need right now, because as they grow they will be able to jump. I think our is 36 inches tall.

Ours is a simple one like this. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24770

Make sure you bring it inside or store in your garage when they are not using it as they will tend to get rusty over time if kept out exposed to the elements.

I think you might want to do two things -- first, invest in an xpen (an exercise pen, widely available online). It should have a 3 or better, 4 foot height and generally you can buy additional ones and link them to form something larger if you want. This is a fine temporary fencing setup for when you are out and watching your dogs or want them out but contained while doing gardening, have visitors etc.

Second, I think you will need to consider securely fencing some of your land. Cavaliers will, like any breed of dog, roam and they also are a top target for thieves. So, for the time when you let them outside, you'll need a securely fenced garden area. :) It doesn't have to be huge but I'd fence what you feel able to do. This can be done pretty cheaply with sturdy fencing ware and posts and a pre-made gateway. We fenced the immediate garden area for our dogs (maybe 2/3rds of an acre or so within a wider 11 acres), and also have fenced off the actual flower beds, which works well.

I am sure you are well aware of this, but just as a general point for anyone with a male and female puppy, don't forget that they really have to be carefully managed from 4 months on as a female can go into heat at any point from 6-9 months (but earlier is known) -- one or the other or both will need neutering. Sounds like you have already been through this and will know what I mean! A first heat can show few signs, and also can be hard to notice if someone hasn't gone through one with a dog before. We have male and female intact siblings of a large breed so I know from experience the amount of work and watchfulness needed when anticipating that first heat and keeping them safely separated! :)

Just one other observation -- siblings in particular (or any two puppies raised together) are far more likely never to actually get out of the chewing/digging etc stage. They will tend to spur each other on in the same kind of play they have been allowed to do for all the time they were growing up, and they do tend to be harder to stop as they focus more on each other when together than owners calling to them. This is one of the real challenges of taking on two siblings or two puppies simultaneously. Our large breed dogs are coming up on two this week and still tear around the garden -- hence the need to fence of flower beds, for example. So that's another reason I'd say to securely fence off what you can manage for them for playing. :D

OK...As I write this, the contractors are setting up our pup-pen. It has a chain-link fence and an area of 10' x 20'. We're going to add a sand pit for the pups to dig in as much as they want - also a tarpaulin to provide shade.

Thanks for the feedback and other comments,

Roy and Jean

OK...As I write this, the contractors are setting up our pup-pen. It has a chain-link fence and an area of 10' x 20'. We're going to add a sand pit for the pups to dig in as much as they want - also a tarpaulin to provide shade.

Sounds like puppy heaven!! How is the housebreaking going?

Joan

Sounds like puppy heaven!! How is the housebreaking going?

Joan
The housebreaking is going so-so. We had to almost start over again, because the pups were confined to the house, with all the recent snow. We're looking forward to a "dry" spring, however.

Roy and Jean

The housebreaking is going so-so. We had to almost start over again, because the pups were confined to the house, with all the recent snow. We're looking forward to a "dry" spring, however.

Roy and Jean

Yes - it has been a rough winter in NYC and snow on the ground definitely makes it harder for the pups to focus on what they should be doing OUTSIDE. Stay with the course and the pups will be housebroken. Happy Spring (today is the official first day!).

Joan

Back