• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Humping behaviour/Castration

locket

Hi everyone hope ive posted this in the right place. Havent been on the forums for a good while but after some advice about my dog. Dexter was 3 yesterday and he was castrated on Monday. I wasn't planning on getting him done when we got him as a pup but as time went on he became increasingly difficult due to humping. Now I know some dogs just hump for dominance/as a habit and Dexter does his fair share of this. He likes to hump children but usually when its like this hes easy to tell off and stop. Bt over the last year or so there have been times when hes been unstoppable. Sometimes its after we meet a bitch (and these arent in season), and other times it tends to be when were outside and hes been sniffing and then thats it he switches and becomes so difficult. Now I think this must be a sexual humping as he is unstoppable he just wants my leg (ive had to drag him by his neck home at times) and hes quite strong and it hurts! Also it can take an hour to calm him down and in this hour I sit on the kitchen worktop. If I leave the room he scratches and destroys the door so up here I am around but he cant get to me. I try not to lock him in his crate as I never use it for punishment but there has been times ive had to as I was literally pulling my hair our. During this time he jumps at me barks, cries and pants like his rabid its awful. So does this sound like this is definitley sexual related rather than just habit humping as im scared if isnt obviously the chop wont stop it without training it out of him.

Even the breeders who have many cavaliers of their own and have bred many too were completley suprised by just how bad he is. There have been times when we have bumped into bitches in season who were being walked freely in the day without any trying to avoid other dogs and I can understand then why he would be so highly strung but times he just smells something outside and then hes off.

Hes at it again now. I am on my kitchen top as we speak as I cant get him to calm down so I have to wait it out. Its silly I have to sit up here but what else can I do. I know it takes time for the testosterone to leave a dogs system and hes only 4 days post castration but now hes off on one I have to stop him humping everything in sight as hes got a big wound with stitches and he might hurt himself or make it worse! Does anyone know how long it might be before I see an improvement and his levels decrease? His wound is bigger than usual so will take a little longer to heal and I really dont want to have to keep him inside completley in that time as he loves his walkies so much. I just feel at a loss of what to do. Its so frustrating for me as well as him and hes so hard to control when hes on one. Does anyone else have a particually humpy cavalier? Even other friends/family with male dogs have never had this bad of a problem. He had to stop going to doggy day care because he just humped the poor lady the whole time. I pray castration will help as otherwise going to need an expensive dog trainer to train this out of him.

Back