• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Knotted ears

rtroxel

This may sound like a trivial issue, but it's getting annoying. Our two pups, Fred & Ginger, like to scrap and play-fight, and that's OK, as long as they do it outside. The only problem is that Ginger pulls on Fred's ears a lot, causing knots to form in the hair. These can be untangled, but it's a slow process. You have to start at the end of the knot and then slowly pull it apart, sometimes hair by hair. And we're getting tired of it.

We tried brushing Fred's ears each night, but then Ginger just goes to work on them again the next day. (There's no pain involved. Fred just tolerates it for a while.)

Has anyone else here experienced this problem, and of so, how did you a) un-knot the ears, and b) stop the dog from doing it again?

Thanks, as always,

Roy and Jean

It is frustrating -- hate to tell you but their ears knot and mat generally, regardless of play! :lol: Yours will probably not do nearly as much of that sort of play as they get older; however, puppies reared together sometimes continue puppy play on into adulthood in the way that dogs not reared together, won't. There are many ways of dealing with mats -- you could just give up and keep their ear hair very short. I usually brush out mats gently -- if you use a pin brush and brush both down and then sideways you can usually work them out fairly easily. Rubbing in a small bit of corn flour can help mats to untangle. Most cavalier owners need to brush and de-mat ears daily anyway. The coats of this breed are definitely NOT easy care -- they take daily brushing/combing as they tangle easily and left undone for say a week, can end up catastrophically matted.

It's best perhaps to view this as a relaxing daily ritual -- nice to do while watching telly in the evening! Some people give up and have groomers shave down the dogs, but this does often change their coat and make it more fluffy and curly (and hence worse...).

Alot depends on their coat. BellaMia's coat is thinner and silkier than Milo's. All she has to do is give herself a good scratch before she becomes one big knot. Milo has a really thick coat, and he doesn't seem to get as many knots.

4-5 times a week I give them a full brushing, which only takes a out 10 minutes since I do it regularlly. I also use a spray in detangler that you can get at any pet store. It helps with the bigger knots and makes them smell nice and clean between baths. However, every night as part of the bedtime routine, I brush their ears out ending with them getting a favorite bedtime treat.

I have a nice metal comb from a pet shop and use it to comb out those knots and matted hair. Far easier, for me, than using a brush or working it out with my fingers. If the matted hair won't come undone, I carefully cut it off.

Yes, coat type does make a big difference. Some of mine mat more than others. And agree that combs can be an excellent choice.I findthey work best before the mats turn into monster knots!

Alot depends on their coat. BellaMia's coat is thinner and silkier than Milo's. All she has to do is give herself a good scratch before she becomes one big knot. Milo has a really thick coat, and he doesn't seem to get as many knots.

4-5 times a week I give them a full brushing, which only takes a out 10 minutes since I do it regularlly. I also use a spray in detangler that you can get at any pet store. It helps with the bigger knots and makes them smell nice and clean between baths. However, every night as part of the bedtime routine, I brush their ears out ending with them getting a favorite bedtime treat.

The real issue isn't so much combing, but the fact that Fred's sister, Ginger, is constantly pulling on his ears. Not the whole ear, but the hair itself, which causes it to mat and knot. Is there some kind of solution or spray to apply to Fred's ears to make them distasteful to Ginger?

Thanks, in advance,

Roy

The real issue isn't so much combing, but the fact that Fred's sister, Ginger, is constantly pulling on his ears. Not the whole ear, but the hair itself, which causes it to mat and knot. Is there some kind of solution or spray to apply to Fred's ears to make them distasteful to Ginger?

Nothing that I know of. My Japanese chin is constantly "grooming" Bosco's ears by licking them. I deal with the same knots that you write of. I try to keep on top of it and usually just snip out the knot.

OK, the problem has been solved. We sprayed their ears each day for two weeks with something called Bitter Yuck. It tastes foul to dogs, and they soon ceased chewing and pulling on each others' ears. After the two weeks' exposure, we have not had to spray anymore. We also use a wire brush each night to comb their fur. This takes only 5 minutes per dog.

Roy and Jean

Back