Thread: Is it okay to let my puppy go to sleep on my lap?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it okay to let my puppy go to sleep on my lap?

Hi

I've had puppy Rosie for one week. She is 9 weeks old. She's a very good girl but will not go off to sleep during the day unless she is sitting on my lap. Once she's asleep I place her in her crate. At night she will settle in her crate perfectly well, just not during the day. Also, she follows me everywhere and every time I turn round she is sat looking at me and will not stop until I let her sit on my lap. Is it okay to give in to her as she's very young? Or should I ignore her so that she learns to amuse herself? I just want to do what's best for her.

Thanks

2. Likes CSutherland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to laugh out loud at this question. Here I sit in my recliner with 4.5 yr old Bentley sleeping on my lap. I could be doing housework and any number of important things but this is so much more relaxing. My hubby & I are retired and in our 70s so Bentley gets a lot of this but truly I don't know how to keep from allowing lots of lap time with a Cavalier. They're just so doggone sweet and loving. If you have the time, I say go for it!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the world of cavaliers!!! I have a 2.5 year old and a 17 month old, and both are on my lap right now and I wouldn't have it any other way. I think that being near you or on you, help puppies feel safe and secure in their new enviroment.

Glad to have you and Rosie with us.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome

You have to find a happy medium here. Cavaliers are Velcro dogs that's why we love them so much. My Leo is 9 this year and still sleeps on my lap or right next to me....they have to be close.
    However Rosie does need to learn that there are times when she needs to be on her own. What you don't want is her to develop separation anxiety if you're not with her 24/7...

Cavaliers are simply the most loving little dogs and give the best cuddles.....enjoy her.

Good luck
    Mel
    Mel
    Mumma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)
    Waiting at the bridge

6. Likes waldor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I'm sitting, Bosco is on my lap. If I'm roaming around the house, Bosco is at my heels. If I'm sewing or on the computer, Bosco is at my feet. LOL! He's my boy! At night, he sleeps in a crate in my room. My husband refuses to have a dog in the bed with us, and frankly, I think the separation between Bosco and me is a good thing!

Cavs are sweetheart dogs. Big brown eyes and they think you are wonderful. How can anyone top that??

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. One of the reasons I got a Cavalier was because they are so loving. I was just worried that I might be creating a problem of separation anxiety in the future. She is settling down a bit now and is seeming a bit happier at playing on her own whilst I cook, wash the dishes etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaycdee View Post
    Thanks guys. One of the reasons I got a Cavalier was because they are so loving. I was just worried that I might be creating a problem of separation anxiety in the future. She is settling down a bit now and is seeming a bit happier at playing on her own whilst I cook, wash the dishes etc.
    Regarding leaving the house, I never make a fuss with Bosco when I leave nor when I return. If you are "matter of fact" about it, I don't think you will have separation anxiety.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Of course it's ok. Guinness cuddles up next to me pretty often (he has never been a lap puppy), but when I leave he just goes and sleeps in the bed, or if he really misses me, in my dirty laundry.