• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is it okay to let my puppy go to sleep on my lap?

kaycdee

Hi

I've had puppy Rosie for one week. She is 9 weeks old. She's a very good girl but will not go off to sleep during the day unless she is sitting on my lap. Once she's asleep I place her in her crate. At night she will settle in her crate perfectly well, just not during the day. Also, she follows me everywhere and every time I turn round she is sat looking at me and will not stop until I let her sit on my lap. Is it okay to give in to her as she's very young? Or should I ignore her so that she learns to amuse herself? I just want to do what's best for her.

I had to laugh out loud at this question. Here I sit in my recliner with 4.5 yr old Bentley sleeping on my lap. I could be doing housework and any number of important things but this is so much more relaxing. My hubby & I are retired and in our 70s so Bentley gets a lot of this but truly I don't know how to keep from allowing lots of lap time with a Cavalier. They're just so doggone sweet and loving. If you have the time, I say go for it!

Welcome to the world of cavaliers!!! I have a 2.5 year old and a 17 month old, and both are on my lap right now and I wouldn't have it any other way. I think that being near you or on you, help puppies feel safe and secure in their new enviroment.

Glad to have you and Rosie with us.

Hi and welcome icon_welcome

You have to find a happy medium here. Cavaliers are Velcro dogs that's why we love them so much. My Leo is 9 this year and still sleeps on my lap or right next to me....they have to be close.
However Rosie does need to learn that there are times when she needs to be on her own. What you don't want is her to develop separation anxiety if you're not with her 24/7...

Cavaliers are simply the most loving little dogs and give the best cuddles.....enjoy her.

Good luck
Mel

If I'm sitting, Bosco is on my lap. If I'm roaming around the house, Bosco is at my heels. If I'm sewing or on the computer, Bosco is at my feet. LOL! He's my boy! At night, he sleeps in a crate in my room. My husband refuses to have a dog in the bed with us, and frankly, I think the separation between Bosco and me is a good thing!

Cavs are sweetheart dogs. Big brown eyes and they think you are wonderful. How can anyone top that??

Thanks guys. One of the reasons I got a Cavalier was because they are so loving. I was just worried that I might be creating a problem of separation anxiety in the future. She is settling down a bit now and is seeming a bit happier at playing on her own whilst I cook, wash the dishes etc. :d*g:

Thanks guys. One of the reasons I got a Cavalier was because they are so loving. I was just worried that I might be creating a problem of separation anxiety in the future. She is settling down a bit now and is seeming a bit happier at playing on her own whilst I cook, wash the dishes etc. :d*g:

Regarding leaving the house, I never make a fuss with Bosco when I leave nor when I return. If you are "matter of fact" about it, I don't think you will have separation anxiety.

Of course it's ok. Guinness cuddles up next to me pretty often (he has never been a lap puppy), but when I leave he just goes and sleeps in the bed, or if he really misses me, in my dirty laundry.

Back