• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Chiari/SM in puppies

Chema

I have read similar threads already on this site but am hoping to receive more recent/updated news. I have a 7 month puppy diagnosed with CM. She has a lot of the classic symptoms- head scratching, face rubbing, paw biting and licking, moaning as she scratches, air scratching. I'd like to know how many other people have had puppies already exhibiting symptoms and how your puppies are doing now? Also just this week, she started hopping as she's walking and it causes her body to be slightly curved as she walks and runs ( one back leg is slightly raised as she is walking). Does anyone else have the symptom and does it come and go or is it permanent and do you think it means that she may become paralyzed (recognizing that no one here is a neurologist, but I'd still like to know what your personal experiences have been). The odd walking concerns me in particular because I am worried about her ability to walk now and in the future). Thanks.

I can't give you puppy advice or experience, because both my CM/SM dogs were diagnosed as adults, but it might be worth checking out the hind leg problem with your vet, as it may not be CM/SM related - slipping patellas and disk damage are also very common Cavalier problems. My old dog had progressive paralysis in his hind legs from about the age of 8 - probably not CM/SM related, possibly degenerative myelopathy - and he supported his legs by tucking in his stomach muscles, which made his spine arch, so the two things, hind leg problems and curved spine, may be related in your puppy's case.

I'm sure people with more puppy experience than me will pick up your post and give you more wisdom than I've got! I'm so sorry that you and your puppy are going through this.

:hug:

Kate

Well, the good news is that she is back to walking normally (phew). Still scratching and head rubbing though, even with the meds.

Well, the good news is that she is back to walking normally (phew). Still scratching and head rubbing though, even with the meds.

I am so sorry that your puppy has problems.

You should know that almost all if not all

Cavaliers have CM. It's endemic in the breed because of the head shape. I'm not going into the arguments about why this is, just suffice it to say that it is. But the majority of dogs never show symptoms and so far as I know, it is rare for a 7 month puppy to show symptoms either.

May I strongly advise you to first see your vet to discuss your concerns. There are many reasons why puppies do the things you mention and many quite simple treatments for them too. If your local vet can't sort the problems out then it would be a good idea for you to request a referral to a neurologist vet who has experience of treating both CM and Syringomyelia. SM can occur in puppies, but is quite unusual to show symptoms at such a young age.

Young pups like yours go through many changes and sometimes uneven growth spurts while their bones are growing and joints settling into place, so the curvature you mention might again be quite normal. It could of course be that your fears are entirely justified, but until you get expert opinions and probably a full MRI scan it is not wise to assume the worst. I have only had one then six year old Cavalier diagnosed by MRI with SM and curvature of the spine, so have no direct experience of a puppy suffering symptoms.

I am so sorry to hear of your concerns and wish your puppy better really soon.

Hi there,

I have already discussed with my vet and have seen two neurologists, and have had an MRI. that's how she was diagnosed. Thanks.

Hi there,

I have already discussed with my vet and have seen two neurologists, and have had an MRI. that's how she was diagnosed. Thanks.

Forgive me for asking but have either or both of them had experience in treating both Cavaliers and Cavaliers with CM or SM? There are many neurologists but comparatively few who have the relevant experience.

Back