• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bella is Post Op Day 3 from FMD and cranioplasty

maddy31

I saw Bella the first time yesterday since her surgery and she just looks so sad and even old-- I don't see Bella when I look in her eyes- maybe because of all the drugs she's spaced out. They shaved her ears, head and neck. She barely wants to move and when she tried to get comfortable, she let out a little cry but just one time while we were there 20 minutes. I fed her dinner and peanut butter, her favorite treat, which she was happy to eat; so I got to see a little life come back. I pray to God this animal does not come home still screaming in any pain. They don't reassure you that she won't but do say she can yelp from time to time as the syringomyelia and surgery site heal which takes weeks to months 8-((. I would die if she did not improve- she's been through hell these past 2.5 weeks. She's the happiest dog I've ever ever seen and wakes up every single morning wagging her tail and talking to me. I have not seen that side of her in what feels like another lifetime ago. If anyone out there has a cavalier or dog who's had the surgery, can you please reach out and let me know what to expect from the recovery and if you feel it truly helps with the pain- scratching I can deal with. I hope this experience doesn't change her. I will try to keep my posts coming throughout her recovery as I hope I can help others with Cavaliers suffering from SM/Chiari. Please please remember the condition can suddenly worsen so watch for ANY worsening of symptoms even if it's just scratching, which is how Bella progressed one week before crying out in agony. Never skip meds as this and pressure changes in weather almost always aggravate the condition.

Hi. I have no experience with this surgery but many here have. I'm sure they will reply soon. I'm sure your Bella will perk up soon and be back to her old self.

Back