• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leaving my cavalier whilst on holiday.

rubypup

Hi all, I am looking for some advice if possible. I own a lovely ruby boy who is now 3 years old. He is a wonderful dog and has a very sweet nature. He can be quite timid at times when he does not know someone, but on the whole he is very happy. Very recently my family and I went away where we could not take our dog. We left him with a trusted family member who we have left him with for one night previously last year. Our dog was very unhappy at being left this last time and hid under a table every time someone tried to interact with him. He did not eat well (this is extremely unusual as my dog lives for food!!) and was generally quite distressed by the whole experience. Since we have had him we have taken our main family holidays in the uk so have only left him for these two separate days. We are planning a two week holiday abroad next year and after this recent experience we are now really worried about leaving him. Does anyone have any advice for us to make things easier for our dog when we have to leave him with other people? Thank you in advance for any help :)

I have a dog who went on a hunger/thirst strike when I left her with a family friend, so I understand your concerns. The next time we went away, I opted to leave her with a "professional" woman who takes dogs in her home. It worked out fine. My dog came home happy, healthy and looking good (helps when the sitter is also a groomer).

Here's my thoughts:

Your dog picks up your anxiety on leaving her, and most likely your family friend is equally anxious in wanting to make your dog (and you) happy.

With a "professional" sitter, at least one part of the equation (the dog sitter!) is not anxious, so you reduce anxiety by half.

The woman I used was highly recommended and I met her beforehand. She was understanding and confident about dealing with my dog, so much so that I felt better. I left Sadie at her house, with her crate (for comfort) and she did fine. When I picked her up 7 days later, Sadie was well nourished and happy. We've returned on other occassions with no issues.

I'm not sure if I just found the perfect person to watch her or if people who watch dogs in their home just have a special way about them.

Hope this helps in some small way. It's never easy leaving them.

Hiya,
A friend of mine who has always had cavaliers lost her old girl two years ago. She loves dogs but didn't want to get another one yet. She has since become a dog sitter. She has dogs of all shapes and sizes to stay with her whilst their owners are away.
She has had many people telling her their pet probably wont settle but because she is confident and caring she has never had a problem.
I agree Joandesan that a professional sitter maybe the best bet.

Good luck

Thank you both for your responses. I will look into a professional sitter as this is something I hadn't really considered. Its going to be hard leaving him whatever we do but the thought of him having 14 days of what he experienced in that 1 day away from us really does worry me! Its very reassuring to know that there are other dogs that go on hunger strike like my boy did and that he's not that unusual.
Thanks again for your advice x

Possibly the pet sitter will allow your dog to spend one night, as a practice or trial run, Before you board her for your trip. I did this with Sophie at the boarding kennel we use. I felt better doing it that way,and she loves it there.

Is there someone you trust enough that could stay in your home with your boy while you're gone? I know it's an imposition for a lot of people especially for two weeks, but for some people it's a way to earn extra cash. That way your boy won't have the stress of going someplace new, he's still in his home, just with someone new. The added bonus for you is that your home is being looked after while you're away (as long as you trust the person implicitly). I have two options for my four dogs: one is a professional pet sitter, the other is my cleaning lady who stays at my house with my dogs. My dogs love both options. I am not partial to either. Depends on who's available and if there's anything medical going on with any of the four at the time. With the pet sitter they get to socialize with other dogs at her house, but when they stay at home there's no adjustment period. Plus my cleaning lady spoils them royally. She takes them for two walks a day and lets all four sleep in the bed with her - something I don't do!!! Something to think about if it's an option for you.

Thank you Bev, this would be an ideal solution for me but unfortunately I don't have anyone who would be able to do this for me. Thanks for your advice though - you sound like you have a great set up for your dogs when you are away! I'm very jealous! Thanks all again, best wishes to you and your dogs :)

Back