• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Required tests for SM checkup?

TomA

I just took my 7 year old Cavalier with SM in for his annual checkup and spent $170 on tests, even after asking that unnecessary tests not be done. I'm wondering what people feel are necessary and which are unnecessary? I seem to remember there being similar posts in the past.

I hope your Cavalier is doing okay.

I don't have any first hand info as my 9 year old Cavalier Lucky has Chiari Malformation, but not SM. He's on gabapentin.

Did they explain what tests were being done and why? It seems odd that a vet wouldn't tell you which test and get your sign-off before they do it. Maybe I'm lucky my vets always do.

I'm wondering if maybe it was a blood panel that was run? Did they tell you? Was it a neurology check up or just a regular vet checkup? Is your Cavalier on medication? Depending what medication your dog is on perhaps it was blood tests to ensure the medication wasn't causing any issues? I could see how some blood panels would cost $170, depending what part of the country you live in. In the NYC metro area, I'm sure I'd pay that or close to it.

Hope all went well with the checkup other than the cost. That part always hurts.

Hi there! I've been looking to speak to someone in the same position as us. I have a 7 month old Ruby pup who, right from first coming to us, has shown symptoms consistent with SM. She was eventually MRI'd and although shows a marked chiari malformation she didn't have an SM diagnosis at the time. She was put on 3 x 50mg gabapentin a day and we've been on that for 2 months now. What I wondered was how your dog was/ did you see a complete irradication of symptoms/ are there any long term affects of being on the medication that you have found? Many thanks, Kate & Rosie x

Hi Kate (from Kate!)

Unfortunately, CM/SM is a progressive chronic disease and with a marked malformation so young, Rosie is likely to develop a syrinx at some point in the future. It is really heartbreaking for you having to face this with such a young dog. Chiari Malformation on its own can cause pain, even without a syrinx, which is why I imagine Rosie has been put on gabapentin. Fortunately, gabapentin is a drug with very few side effects (initial drowsiness is one symptom, but that wears off after a week or two), and it mixes well with other drugs. It can become ineffective with some dogs as their CM/SM progresses, but there is a refined version of gabapentin called progabalin (Lyrica) which can then be used to good effect. Sadly, symptoms can be controlled, often effectively, but they will not be eradicated. One avenue that I am sure your vet/neurologist will explore as Rosie gets older is decompression surgery at the back of the skull. So there are options for treatment, and I hope her present dose of gabapentin is helping Rosie to enjoy being a puppy, and you to enjoy owning her, in spite of your worries.

There are many people on this forum with experience of CM/SM, so please don't hesitate to ask questions!

:hug:

Kate and Ruby the Blenheim rescue

Hi Kate -- Did you see improvement with that range of medications? CM can sometimes be trickier to manage. The goal with CM/SM is to have meds at a level where all or most symptoms are gone but this isn't always possible. Often dogs do progress and meds often need readjustment over time. Kate's given a good explanation above. Have you discussed various options at this time with a neurologist?

Back