• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New puppy owner, what toys for new puppy to play with?

wheelsluann2

Hi, I am new here. I have a 6 month old Ruby cavalier. This is my first one I have own.. I can't say how much I love this little guy (Milo).. He is doing great!! very smart, sweet and loving.. I was wondering since he chews up all stuffed toys and plastic toys, and still loves to chew, any ideas what I could give him? Thank you

Sophie was an aggressive chewer until past her second birthday. We stayed with natural things like antlers (but limited use because it will wear down their teeth), bully sticks, and rawhide chews. Don't buy any that have been made or processed outside of North America or Europe, as there are too many horror stories and we have our own scary story.

We also learned to NOT give her any of the NylaBone brand chews. As she ingested small bits, it caused horrible diarrhea. After a few in-home disastrous messes to clean up, I caught on. Ugh....

We also learned to NOT give her any of the NylaBone brand chews. As she ingested small bits, it caused horrible diarrhea. After a few in-home disastrous messes to clean up, I caught on. Ugh....

Ditto on the nylabones. Bosco's stomach has always been sensitive too, so I rarely give treats. He does do well on the bully tips -- satisfies his chewing nature and counts as a treat.

Congrats on your new puppy! You will find lots of good information here.

Joan

Hi and welcome! Would love to see pictures of your little Milo. I have a Ruby girl, BellaMia and a Tri boy, Milo.
My Milo is a heavy chewer also. Plush toys only lasted about 10 seconds. Both mind did well with bully sticks and hooves. But I wanted something that wasn't food based for them to play with and chew. My Vet suggested West Paw Design toys. They are durable and guarrenteed to last. I've had mine for over 6 months and they are still good as new. Milo, at 16 months, is better now with plush toys, so your boy may outgrow this stage too.

https://www.westpawdesign.com/dogs/dog-toys/zogoflex-dog-toys

Last edited:
I give my guys The Honest Kitchen "Beams". Google them. They are all natural catfish skins, but they take a while to chew.

My guys have rather sensitive tummies, but they do great with these.

I give my guys The Honest Kitchen "Beams". Google them. They are all natural catfish skins, but they take a while to chew.

My guys have rather sensitive tummies, but they do great with these.

Its good to know about another healthy natural chew! I just now visited their website and several local stores carry the brand.

wheelsluann2
- we also gave Sophie the trachea chews. She still loves them, too.

Thanks for your replies.. I did get Milo some chews he hasn't been able to destroy.. Milo starting limping last week took him to the vet, seems he has patellar luxation, he is 10 months old. The vet said it comes from the way his legs grew..He will be needing surgery as it is a grade 2/3..This breaks my heart.. I never realized these dogs had so many health issues before I got him. I was not aware of the heart problem either, scares me to death, because I love this little dog so much.. Has anyone had experience with heart problems, and if so at what age..I will try and post a picture but I'm not sure how..Thanks for answers in advance..I'm so glad I found this site, as I feel I will be needing some moral support during this surgery.. P.S. If anyone could tell me their experience with this surgery and recovery would be great..

My cavalier loves toys!!!

Some favorite chew toys from when she was first home with us:

Kong(s) in pink and red colors - stuffed with yummy things like pumpkin or her food and frozen
Nylabone Dino - It is a hard plastic (and did not seem like she would enjoy it) but it was a favorite with no risk of any part coming off.
Rope toys - we play gentle tug with this
Safe chew treats like Virbac CET chews, dental stars, etc..
Out Vet dentist gave a strong "NO" to any kind of antlers as well as bully sticks for such tiny toy breeds.

Lani, those catfish beams sound perfect! Over here (in Europe) I give Guinness these dried fish pieces. He loves them and they just crush right down (they feel like bricks to me). They smell like...super dead fish, be warned.

Back