• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

CHF as predicted by Respiratory Rate: A study

Thanks, Karen, interesting. My Aled went into CHF in July, with both valves affected, and died the following February. Apart from the 24 hours after the actual heart failure (when his heart rate shot up to 220 and his breathing was very rapid), his breathing rate was never more than 25 per minute until it increased considerably on the day he was put to sleep, when it became obvious that his heart had finally given up the struggle to keep working. From an owner's point of view, MVD and CHF are very individual and unpredictable conditions - some dogs can technically be in CHF but survive on medication and lead an almost normal life for several years, others on the same medication can die within months. A stressful disease for both dog and owner. And an unnecessary one.

I hope your Buddy will be one of those who go on for a good length of time.

Kate and Ruby

Poor little Aled. I hear you re the unpredictability of MVD and CHF. While Buddy has an increased heart rate, he hadn’t demonstrated other associated issues, like coughing.

I see in the summary the study I linked was referenced. Considering what Kate said about Aled, there are exceptions to the rule.

Back