• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Started Peeing and Pooping in the house.

CharlieTriBoy

Hello,

I didn't know where to post this and I'm sure this question has been asked before but my dog Charlie, he just turned two years old in May, just started peeing and pooping in one of our bedrooms in the house. He just did it again after we were outside for about 45 minutes. He has plenty of room to run around when we're outside and I don't understand what is going on. I realized this last week and I thought maybe he was just mad when I left to run some errands and he peed in that bedroom. But today, I noticed that it is really starting to smell back there and then, like I said, we just came in from outside and he did it again. We have an appointment at the vet this week Wednesday for his wellness checkup. He hasn't been acting as if he's sick and I'm not sure if he's just getting distracted while he outside and then comes in and does that, because he does get distracted easily. He's been eating the same as he always has. He's a pretty picky eater and sometimes doesn't eat until the end of the day. Now I have to get the carpet cleaners in here and get that all cleaned up. The weather is starting to get warm here and that room smells like wet baby diapers. Yuck!

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thank you.
Shelley

Hi Shelley

I think the first thing you should do is to mention this change in behaviour to your vet when Charlie has his wellness check on Wednesday, because it may be due to an urinary tract infection or something pretty close to it.
In the meantime, perhaps you should use a belly band for Charlie whenever he is to be left alone in the house for a while, although I think you should make sure it is well secured so that Charlie cannot come to any harm if he tries to remove or eat the material. Maybe a Buster Collar would prevent him coming to any harm.

I would mention it to the vet and rule out any physical issues.

Is it possible he has been peeing there longer than you realize? He may have developed a bad habit. If it is possible to remove the rug, I would do that. Even after a professional cleaning, the rug may hold an odor that is tempting to a dogs sensitive nose.

Bosco prefers to do his business while on a walk, rather than when in the backyard. So regardless of how long he is outside running around with me, I do have to walk him to get him to poop. No idea why....

I'm glad you are taking him to a vet to check out any medical issues. Beyond that, I agree, that after playing outside, make sure he takes care of business before you bring him back inside.

Back