• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

M.v.d

karen baker

Hi everyone, just looking for advice and reassurance really, forgive me its been a little while since i have posted, my Blenheim cavalier Ruby has been a bit under the weather lately, she was 9 years old in March, and has the usual ailments, SM,PSOM,my vet always thought her MVD was graded at a 2,she was asymtomatic, until this year, in march she developed a cough, and showing little signs of progression, today she was scanned and x-rayed under anaethestic, they told me that that they don,t really grade them, but they look at other significant findings, she does have fluid, and one of her valves is not working efficiently,they have given her medication, and i have to return in a week, to inform them how she is getting on, she,s been prescribed Cardisure (Pimobenden) 1.25 mg twice a day, and Fruesmide 40mg 1/4 twice a day. Apart from a cough, which she only does about 3 or 4 times a day, she does,nt seem too bad, she tires easily, enjoys walks, sometimes even chases cats lol, her respirations are normal, basically is she now in heart failure? should i really prepare myself? Is time running out for her? She,s still enjoying life. Albeit today the anaesthetic has really had an affect on her, shakey, no appetite, very sleepy. Sorry i,am rambling on a bit, but any sort of feedback i would be grateful for, thank you in advance, one very anxious mum lol x

Hi Karen

Dealing with MVD is a roller coaster, partly because dogs seem to react to it in very individual ways. Some will respond well to medication and lead pretty normal lives for several years. Others will need increasing medication and still go downhill quickly. Life for the owner becomes a matter of counting breaths, giving pills, watching obsessively for symptoms, and worrying! Many on this forum will know what you are going through and support you. Was the scanning etc done by a cardiologist? They really are the best people to advise you, especially on what medication to use. If the frusemide doesn't clear Ruby's lungs, there are other options such as Moduret, which worked brilliantly when my Aled got a lot of fluid in his abdomen (and looked as if he was about to give birth to at least 6 puppies!). I think Aled enjoyed life to the end in a quiet way (he died last February) - he enjoyed his food, he came out for walks with us in his buggy and got lots of fuss, and as both valves were useless, our vets were amazed that he lasted for 7 months. If Ruby tires easily, I can highly recommend the use of a buggy (you'll find plenty on ebay or Amazon) - you can push her to the park, let her walk as far as she wants and when she tires pop her back in again. She can watch the world go by and meet people, without having to waste her energy.

MVD as a disease is tough on owners as well as dogs, so be gentle with yourself too. Make Ruby as comfortable as you can, get the best advice you can afford, but don't let her illness totally take over your life, tempting as that may be!

I have a Blenheim called Ruby too - she's a 6-year-old rescue that I've had for 2 months, and a real livewire!

Love to you and your Ruby:hug:

Kate and her Ruby

Thank you for your kind advice kate, so sorry to hear of your loss, i am quite worried about her at this moment in time, she has been taking Frusemide for a couple of weeks no problems, i have to start with the cardisure tomorrow, but wondering if they may have given her some this morning, as she really is not right, she,s had several anaethestics in the past and been fine after a couple of hours, her heart seems quite loud as she lying on my leg, shes lethalgic and wobbly, refusing her food, ( she has never refused food ). I will have to phone vet tomorrow, to see if they did, because if this is how she,s reacting its not good, i will see how she is in the morning, going to walk her in a little while,but feel so bad, because apart from her little episodes of coughing she,s doing o.k. i new this day would come, but you are never prepared, Thank you once again Kate for your kind words. Sending returning hugs from Karen, Ruby and Sadie, xxx

Last edited:
P.S. She,s being treated by the P.D.S.A. who have been amazing, i do believe the vet today was a cardiologist, they have several who have there own businesses, but actually work there in there free time, so they all would have had an opinion on her results. so its nice to be able to donate to such a great organisation. x

Karen, she sounds like a good candidate for the pimobendan. It can work wonders and turn around an otherwise declining dog in congestive heart failure such as your Ruby, by enabling the heart to pump more effectively. I think the pill should not be given with a meal. Make sure you ask about the timing of giving the medication.

Hi Karen
Sorry to read this about Ruby. My Leo was diagnosed nearly 2 years ago. He is on the same meds and doses as Ruby and is doing great.
As Kate said each dog responds differently. Leo is doing well. He has of course slowed down and cant walk as long as he used to. Some days he seems tired and weary and the next he tearing around like a puppy....
I take each day at a time and enjoy what ever we've got left..im a realist and know this little bubble will one day pop :(

I really hope Ruby responds and you both have many more years together. We're all here to support each other which I have found a great help.

Mel xxx

Just to echo what others have said. You might find that the pimo will turn things around nicely for Ruby. It really is an up and down cycle with this disease. My little guy did a spin around the park no problem one day, and the next he couldn’t go even half way. Sounds like your little one is in good hands.

Back