• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My heart is hurting for my lil' guy

mom4bella

Hello All,

My heart is absolutely broken right now...Here's our story....Our (just turned 6 yrs) cavalier Gino, was diagnosed with a heart murmur a couple of years ago, he also had a cough that he would only do at night.. Since then, we have taken him to a cardiologist here in our state of Michigan. We were told that no medication was necessary, and to bring him back each year, earlier should we notice any changes in respiration, etc. His next follow up would have been the end of July....Long, complicated, story short...In late April of this year, we noticed he was coughing more..We were advised to take him in to our local veterinarian..We discussed whether or not it could be cardiac related, and were told most likely not..He was diagnosed with allergic bronchitis...Then in mid June we were told he had pneumonia...Still, the feelings were that it was not cardiac related...Then July 2nd I tried to get him a appointment with the cardiologist..I would have to wait 2 weeks...He was acting like he felt much better, but the cough was still there, and he wasn't eating..I took him back to our local vet, who told me to take him to the emergency clinic ( at the university )...From then on, it's a blur...They kept him for 2 days, and determined that he is in congestive heart failure, with pulmonary hypertension!! We took him home with 3 medications (furosemide,pimobendan,sildenafil), and we have an appointment on the 28th of this month with the cardiologist...The tears are flowing right now, I feel so bad about this..I knew that it could eventually happen, I just feel so bad that he had to suffer for a couple of months before we knew what was going on...I'm sorry that I'm rambling on...We have gotten just a little bit of information regarding his condition/prognosis, because we haven't actually met with the cardiologist yet..I googled some things about chf, and boy, that was a mistake! We are 1st time cavalier owners..I love them so much(!), they are like our kids <3 Prayers for Gino please...

Hi. I'm so sorry you are faced with these horrible heart problems with Gino at his young age. I can certainly hear the heartbreak in your words. Don't be so hard on yourself.....you did all the right things to help him. Many of us here know exactly how you feel, myself included. My boy, Sydney, started with a murmur, and also progressed to CHF and plumonary hypertension. He was taking the same medications as Gino. Over time, our cardiologist tweaked the dosages up or down and added in additional meds depending on his blood work results and scans.

This is certainly a good place to come for information and support. Please let us know how Gino is doing.

Thank you so much Joyce, it's feels good to be with others who have gone through the same type of heartbreak....I am very anxious to meet with the cardiologist..It all just happened so fast! I am trying to learn as much about it as I can...I just want him to be comfortable...I can tell that your Sydney was very loved :) Thank you again!

Every Cavalier I have ever owned (6 of them) has had a heart murmur (until the latest rescue, who at 6 is still clear). But heart failure is a very individual thing. Some dogs respond well to medication and live for several more years. Others go rapidly into complete failure. I think it rather depends on whether it is just the one valve that is affected, or both. or whether there are other symptoms such as enlarged heart. The cough is caused by fluid settling in the lungs (particularly overnight) because the heart can't push fluid round the body quickly enough - the frusemide should help with this, by reducing the amount of fluid the heart has to push, and there are other meds (such as Moduret) that can help reduce fluid. The cardiologist will be able to do an ecocardiogram (a detailed examination of the heart via computer, which will show exactly what is happening and what the damage is. If they are like my UK cardiologist, although the initial outlay for them seems a lot, they are then on the end of the phone for you or your vet with advice for managing Gino and adjusting meds.

Heart disease is tough both for the dog and the owner - it's easy to let your world shrink to giving pills and worrying about Gino, so you need to look after yourself as well. My previous rescue, Aled, died of heart failure last February, aged 7. and one thing that really helped with looking after him was taking him out in his buggy, so that he could walk as far as he wanted but then ride when he got tired, and also watch the world go by and get LOTS of fuss from passers by.

:hug:

Kate and Ruby (Blenheim rescue)

PS If Gino is on frusemide, he needs to have a blood test to check his kidneys about every 3-6 months, because frusemide reduces fluid throughout the body and this can damage the kidneys. You may need to remind your local vet of this, as they don't seem very clued up on MVD in Cavaliers - they shouldn't have missed it so often, and you shouldn't feel bad about that, they're supposed to be the experts!

Im so sorry to read your post. Unfortunately Ive been where you are..... like too many others here. Its an emotional rollercoster and all you can do is educate yourself..get a vet/cardiologist you trust and enjoy all your time with Gino.
My boy Leo is nearly 9 and was diagnosed with CHF when he was 7.....

We're quite lucky as he has responded well to the meds....I know it wont last and can get quite tearful if I think about it too much....but doing that wont help Leo or me :(

I take one day at a time...some days are better than others but he seems happy and still manages (shorter) walks.

Look after yourself and remember there's lots of support here.

Mel

Wish I could offer some advice about this but I can't because none of my Cavaliers have ever had CHF or been diagnosied with a slight murmour before the ages of 6 or 7 yrs.

I do hope that Gino will respond well to medication and that all your fears will prove unfounded.

Back