Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oliver

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oliver

I know I won't be able to write this on Friday, so I'm writing it a bit prematurely. We are putting Oliver to sleep on Friday. He has had a good long life. He was 14 years old in March. On Monday morning he had a stroke and couldn't walk, developed a head tilt, no nystagmus, seemed very disoriented, and almost like he didn't recognize us. He did get better over the next 24 hours, but then deteriorated again. He's off his food. He can only walk one to two steps without collapsing. He can't even sit anymore. So, it's time. We're waiting until Friday because my son and daughter-in-law are visiting from the UK and I don't want to spend my last two days with them sobbing.

My husband, daughter, and pet sitter will all be with him (me too) on Friday. The pet sitter is almost as upset as I am, she has known him and cared for him since we brought him home at 12 weeks. I know it's a peaceful process, and I am thankful for that.

Oliver was my introduction to this remarkable breed. He's why I have four! However, I didn't know any better at that time and bought him from a backyard breeder. We even met at a rest area on the highway to make the exchange - dog for money! How nave! But he's been wonderful. No heart problems, no SM, although lots of disc problems and arthritis. Still, he made it to 14+ years. He's always been a more aloof dog than my other three, choosing to sit alone on the couch when the other three are all curled up in a pack together. But he also craved human interaction. And LOVED walks so that he could pick up pine cones. As soon as he found a pine cone, he would pick it up as a signal that the walk was over, carry it in his mouth the entire way home, and then just drop it once we got home. Funny guy. I will miss him terribly. My heart is already breaking. Thank you for all your support on this board for Oliver and my other three (especially Riley, my SM girl) over the years. It has been so amazing.
    Bev
    Bev
    Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)
    In loving memory: Oliver (blenheim) 2001-2015; Riley (black & tan) 2002-2017

Post Thanks / Like

Bev, I am so sorry. You have made the hardest and the most loving decision for your dear Oliver. There isn't a lot I can say to ease the pain you are feeling, but know that on Friday, I will be thinking of you and your family and say a special prayer as you free Oliver from his pain.

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
    And pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then will you do what must be done,
    For this the last battle can't be won.
    You will be sad I understand,
    But don't let grief then stay your hand,
    For on this day, more than the rest,
    Your love and friendship must stand the test.
    We have had so many happy years,
    You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
    When the time comes, please, let me go.
    Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
    Only, stay with me till the end
    And hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you will agree
    It is a kindness you do to me.
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I have been saved.
    Don't grieve that it must be you
    Who has to decide this thing to do;
    We've been so close we two these years,
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.
    Unknown
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

3. Thanks Love my Cavaliers thanked for this post
    Likes waldor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bev

So very sorry to read this. Im crushed for you although this last act of love for Oliver is obviously what needs to be done.
    14 years is a fantastic age but that probably wont ease your pain come Friday.

There is love and hugs from this side of the world for you and your family. Will be thinking of you Friday.

Mel xx
    Mel
    Mumma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)
    Waiting at the bridge

5. Thanks Love my Cavaliers thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to read this and sad for your loss.

Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you in this sad time.

Your story of Oliver and his pinecones made me smile. He sounded like quite the man! 14 years is a great age, but as we both know, its never long enough.

Joan

7. Thanks Love my Cavaliers thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My heart is breaking for you.

What a beautiful memorial for Oliver and I love the story of the pine cones. I can totally imagine him on a walk letting you know it is over.

I hope your wonderful memories of your 14 years with Oliver will bring you peace as you deal with losing him. {{Hugs}}
    Lani
    Mom to ruby Cavalier Sparky & red Lhasa Apso Caroline
    RIP my sweet angel dog Lucky

Post Thanks / Like

what a treasure to have him so long. Give him wings and let him rest. Good boy Oliver!
    owned by BratBoy ^see avatar

10. Thanks Love my Cavaliers thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As you may know, I had to put my Oliver to sleep last February, aged 13, so I can really share your feelings - and waiting to do it is really tough, like sharing the condemned cell. By now your Oliver will have his wings, and the gap is huge and he haunts you at every turn. But it does get easier, and you remember the younger Oliver, sharing your activities and running round, not so much the old man slowly losing all that made life worth while. The last loving thing we can do for them.

Kate and Ruby

PS Don't know where this huge gap came from - apologies!

[note from Karlin: I took out the gap )

12. Thanks Love my Cavaliers thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all. It was very peaceful. He had no fight at the end. I'm glad I was the last face he saw before he went to sleep for the final time. I still can't put his things away yet. I want remembrances of him around, they make me smile. Shortly after I came home last night, I "heard" his little yippy bark from one of the back bedrooms, calling me to come move him since he couldn't move himself. I'm sure I'll be "hearing" more of that in the days to come. The other 3 dogs looked for him when I came home without him and again this morning, but seem to have adapted just fine. They were always more of the pack animals than Oliver was. Although it was a difficult decision, I know it was the right one and the right time. He was definitely ready to go. I had 14+ good years with my old man and I'm happy for them.
    Bev
    Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)
    In loving memory: Oliver (blenheim) 2001-2015; Riley (black & tan) 2002-2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It was like that with Rebel Bev - the other ByFloSins never seemed to expect him to come home from the vet. Each dog was a little subdued for a day or two, then got on with enjoying life in their own particular ways.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Boys
    Winston Alexande and Little Joe
    Birmingham, UK

15. Likes Love my Cavaliers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear this, its just heartbreaking, he was obviously a very much loved, and important member of your family, god bless you, and biggest hugs Karen, Ruby and Sadie. xxx

17. Thanks Love my Cavaliers thanked for this post