• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A check up for Leo

meljoy

Leo has being doing great for the nearly 2 years on his heart meds. However Im a little concerned as in the last week or so he seems more short of breath when exercising.
He still manages to jump through the dog flap into the house and climbs the stairs with "gusto" but when he gets to the top now he's really out of breath, this doesn't last long maybe less than a minute but Ive noticed a marked change.

When I walked him last he was making a weird noise, almost like a wheeze or small "honk" its difficult to describe.
Despite remaining his normal happy self, he doesn't seem distressed at all Ive got an appointment with the cardio vet tomorrow.
Im hoping she will tweak his meds and he'll settle down again (for as long as possible) :(

Its horrible as he's done so well and now Im worried this could be the start of the end….

He still runs around and when he climbs the stairs its really quick….he doesn't seem to understand when I say "Slow down"…..anyone with any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mel

It sounds as if he may have some fluid on his lungs, which can usually be dealt with by medication. His other meds may need adjusting as well - it's great that he's done so well for 2 years, but this does mean that he and his heart are 2 years older and may be needing some extra support. Hope the cardio can sort him out and you have Leo for some time longer :xfngr:

Kate

Thank Kate
im guessing his heart is larger than it was and is pressing on his bronchi causing the weird sounds.
The only saving grace at present is that he is not distressed or subdued in himself so he's still enjoying life :)

As some one said to be me 2 years to me is 14 to him and you have to think how people with heart disease do after 14 years !!!

MVD is such a roller coaster ride, I just hate what it does to our cavaliers. Fingers crossed that Leo's cardiologist can adjust his meds and make him more comfortable.

We saw the cardio vet yesterday. She suspects that he has a build up of fluid causing his enlarged heart to press on his trachea causing the shortness of breath on exertion and the weird honking noise when he running up the stairs.
His heart rate/pulse were good but he had a slight wheeze in his lungs.

She's increased his Frusemide in the morning by 10mg and his Cardalis to 5mg. She didn't want to increase the Vetmedin yet as she doesn't feel there's a need yet.
He's due another Echo in a few months.

I have to call her next Friday and let her know how he's getting on.
What was lovely was that the receptionist asked me how he was when we came out. She was worried he'd deteriorated….Im so lucky they're all a really caring Practice there.

You're right Joyce its a roller coaster ride…and I don't LIKE roller coasters at the best of times.:(

Back