• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Heartworm!

Sydneys Mom

Yesterday I had both BellaMia and Milo in for their heartworm blood test. I wasn't worried about the results as both have been on preventative meds since they were old enough.

My Vet office called today and Milo's came back negative. Bella's came came back borderline. The Vet I always see wasn't in today so I'm trying not to freak out until I talk to her tomorrow.

Any one else have a borderline reading? I assume we'll have the test redone to make sure.

Suggestions? ???? Please keep your fingers crossed for my little girl.

Oh Joyce that's really scary.
I don't have any experience but wanted you to know I have fingers, toes and anything else I can crossed.
Keep us updated on how you get on.

Mel xx

Thanks Mel.

My Vet feels it is a false positive result, but to be on the safe side, she's having the lab rerun the test using other parameters. I'll get the results tomorrow.

The results didn't come back yesterday and today the office is closed. Will have to wait until Monday. I hate waiting. .......

I spoke to the vet yesterday and the second test came back borderline too. Since Bella isn't showing any symptoms, I'm to just continue giving heartworm preventative meds and we'll redo the blood tests in 3 months.

Worrying for you - and makes you wonder how good the preventative meds are!

:xfngr:

Kate and Ruby

Kate, that is the question I asked. The way she explained it is that it's not foolproof but symptoms would be mild if treated early. It's just like humans getting a flu shot.....you can still get the flu with milder symptoms.

Since we don't have a positive reading we can't treat.

Oh Joyce what a worry. at least Bella is well so fingers crossed she's ok.
Let us know how she is and when you've got the results in a few months.

Mel

Back