• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Please advise needed, desperate

If we decide not to have it done, she is faced with her life with no walks and pain, because she is on pain medication now and still in pain.....It is breaking my heart to see her like this.......but can I subject her to the operation and can I deal with the recovery.......what a terrible decision to have to make......

I think the criterion for making the decision is quality of life. What is the quality of Ellie's life now? Is there any way you will be able to improve it (for example, using steroids for pain control) without an operation? Or is the operation the only real possibility of giving Ellie some quality of life? Is that worth the risk of the operation? What does your vet say about the risk of the operation? In my experience, when faced with a Cavalier in need (for example, recovering from an operation), you rise to the occasion and just do it - and discover abilities in yourself you never knew you had!

Kate

Kate, we are taking Ellie to see the orthopaedic surgeon at the vet hospital...My vet has said that the surgeon will weigh up all the pros and cons and then it's up to us if we agree with him or not........ I think her SM is under better control now, of course she does have her bad days.....Its her leg that bothers her most......We do all we can to help her. We have bought steps ( because she likes to look out of the window) and if she is up to it, my hubby takes her for a short walk and she really enjoys that.....We have a mobile home so she enjoys frequent holidays....and I have bought her a dog buggy and she just loves that......I can tell when she is in a lot of pain, and then I give her a Tramadol.......
We are pensioners and I am disabled and cannot lift her, so it will be down to hubby to do any lifting if needs be, if she has the op......In what way would steroids help her leg pain?
I think we are doing all we can for her at the moment.......oh yes, we have put mats in the kitchen and raised her bowls....

Back