• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leo 20/10/96 -17/10/15

meljoy

I went through a very rough patch 10 years ago. My husband left me and my sister who I am very close to was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.
At the time I had been thinking about getting a dog and after much research decided on a Cavalier.
We thought we'd like a boy and the children narrowed two names down....Sam and Leo.

I was put in touch with a breeder who by chance lived about 5 miles away from my Sister. (Coincidence 1)The breeder had a little boy who she had named Leo.(Coincidence 2) I took my sister for her cancer treatment and we stopped by the breeder on the way home to meet her and Leo.
When we pulled up I wound the window down and Leo climbed in the car....my sister turned and said "That's your dog!".
The breeder was honest and said she would interview me and if she didn't think I was right she wouldn't sell him to me! I actually loved that.....I am still in touch with her now. I send her recent pics of Leo every Christmas.
We spent 2 hours there by which time Leo had fallen a sleep on my lap....the breeder decide he had "chosen" me and so I could have him......that boy was meant to be mine I have no doubt.

~

The next day I took my sister for her last treatment and on the way home we stopped and collected Leo. When I brought him home he fitted in like he'd been here for ever.

He became my best mate. I told him everything which he listened intently to. He agreed with everything I said and never disagreed with me.
He was always delighted to see me and greeted me with such over joyed enthusiasm...even if i'd only left the house for 5 minutes!

We took holidays in this country so he could always come. He loved our trips to Devon...he loved walks on Dartmoor and splashing about in the rock pools sniffing out crabs and shrimps. (I have wonderful photos of this).

Two years ago he was diagnosed with heart disease and started on meds. He had done fantastically on them...to the surprise of both us and the vets!
Last Thursday he had a sudden collapse, the vet upped his meds but after scanning him said his heart had deteriorated quite badly. I decided to bring him home on Friday and monitor him here at home with the family that adored him and where he would feel safe and happy.

He died with me at 5 am Saturday morning. I am thankful it was quick, peaceful and I was with him.

The house is too quiet at the moment. His toys and bits are everywhere. I find myself fine one minute and crying the next....

Sorry for the long post I just wanted to share.

Hug your dogs everyone...they really aren't with us long enough.
21660495093_f683833400_b.jpg

Mel

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing Leo's story. It has brought me to tears again. Cavaliers are such a special breed and seem to come into our life just when we need it most. Leo loved you so much that he took the hard decision away from you. He left on his own terms, just like my Sydney did for me.

Leo was a very handsome and a very much loved member of your family. He will always be with you through your memories.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Beautiful story, and a darling photo as well. Saying goodbye is so difficult, the only thing worse would be never having them at all.

Guinness is only 6 but I tear up or cry anytime I realise he won't be with me forever. I have to ask though, is his birthdate correct? He was nearly 19? If so, that's an absolutely phenomenal age.

Last edited:
Writing recently to another friend who had lost their Cavalier, I said: "Each Cavalier leaves their particular shaped hole in your life that no other dog can ever quite fill, and the grief is very real.' I'm sure this will be true of Leo for you, his story shows what a very special dog he was. RIP Leo.

Kate

I have toast though, is his birthdate correct? He was nearly 19? If so, that's an absolutely phenomenal age.

Thank all for your lovely comments. Leo was born in 2006 not 1996.....he was nearly 9....was crying when I wrote it. xxx

What a beautiful tribute to Leo, and yes he certainly was meant to be yours. You were so kind to me in your posts when I was going through MVD with Jasper, it is over a year now with losing Jasper and I still struggle at times, but things will get easier for you Mel and you will remember all the good times and yes they do make you laugh every day, and this is what you will remember. The picture is beautiful, I think I may have said this before, but he reminds me of Ollie is his looks. Take good care of yourself.

What a beautiful tribute to Leo, and yes he certainly was meant to be yours. You were so kind to me in your posts when I was going through MVD with Jasper, it is over a year now with losing Jasper and I still struggle at times, but things will get easier for you Mel and you will remember all the good times and yes they do make you laugh every day, and this is what you will remember. The picture is beautiful, I think I may have said this before, but he reminds me of Ollie is his looks. Take good care of yourself.
Thank you Pam. I cant believe its been over a year since you lost Jasper...where does it go? The picture I posted was taken recently and is one of my favourites.

What a lovely tribute to your precious Leo. I'm so sorry for your loss, I hope your grief will ease with time xx

What a lovely tribute to your precious Leo. I'm so sorry for your loss, I hope your grief will ease with time xx

Thank you phoebe......I cant believe its been a week already. I thought I was doing ok until a neighbour stopped me in the street today to say how sorry he was to hear about Leo...then off I go tearing up again.
I'm sure time will help although I know I'll never stop missing him.

I collected his ashes yesterday...my girls and I have decided to plant a patio rose (he'll go in the pot)....he used to love lying on the patio in the sunshine so we thought that would be appropriate for him to be there.

XXX

Thank you for sharing your story about yourself and Leo. And thank you for sharing your condolences in regard to our Cavalier, Juliet. We both had tough things to deal with this October...but grief shared is grief lessened to at least some degree. Thanks again, Mel.

Back