• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavie growls at no one/nothing

Anji

So...Cavie growls when no one is in the room with her. No one is knocking or doorbell ringing.

Is she just weird?

I think it is hard to know. It could be nothing. It could -- in light of the other issues you are having with her -- be a sign of a possible neurological or pain issue. If her behaviour continues as it has I'd really recommend starting with a visit to a vet familiar with syringomyelia if at all possible for a full body pain check, and perhaps consider a clinical exam with a vet neurologist. Some of the things you are seeing would just raise a few alarms that this could be pain related/neurological, ie signs of syringomyelia.

I think it is hard to know. It could be nothing. It could -- in light of the other issues you are having with her -- be a sign of a possible neurological or pain issue. If her behaviour continues as it has I'd really recommend starting with a visit to a vet familiar with syringomyelia if at all possible for a full body pain check, and perhaps consider a clinical exam with a vet neurologist. Some of the things you are seeing would just raise a few alarms that this could be pain related/neurological, ie signs of syringomyelia.

Karlin, I read your reply when you posted it and think on it every day. I just didn't have any new information to post, so no reply. However, now that a few weeks have passed, I can report that she hasn't done the growling at nothing again. I'm hoping it's because she was very tentative in her new surroundings. After reading more on other dog websites, though, I'm certain that she is a fearful, uncertain, and somewhat reactive dog. I've found eileenanddogs.com to be particularly informative. If anybody knows of similar resources, I'd be very interested and grateful, thanks!

Back