• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Memories of Lucky - Slideshow

Lani

Today marks three weeks since Lucky left us. It's been a rough few weeks and Sparky and I are slowly settling into our new life without Lucky.

I finally sorted through the early photos of Lucky and those from the last couple of years to put together a little tribute video to Lucky who died so suddenly and unexpectedly three week ago.

As some of you know, Lucky had two common but painful Cavalier conditions - PSOM and Chiari malformation. Even with thos conditions, Lucky did okay until this year, although he has always been a quiet and reserved Cavalier, not one to play with toys or other dogs. I never knew why and none of his symptoms ever seemed obvious enough to warrant an MRI, but in retrospect I suspect his less social behavior was possibly because of the pain - he always preferred to find a quiet spot if we were visiting other dogs and take would lay down and it all in.

This year a sudden onset of dry-eye led me down the path of seeing a neurologist, dermatologist and ophthalmologist to and we finally got a definite diagnosis of CM and PSOM. A myringotomy in late February helped make him comfortable and give him a good quality of life for around 8 months. He did well until the last few weeks when it seemed his PSOM had started to come back. We'd just been back to the dermatologist to look into this and then several days later Lucky's heart gave out - he wasn't even in CHF, but apparently had a catastrophic incident. He had the most loving, soulful eyes and a beautiful spirit. He's deeply missed.

Anyway, here's a little slideshow tribute I put together to remember my sweet boy.

My advice for multiple dog owners, make sure you get lots of pictures of your individual dogs. I have so many photos of Lucky and Sparky together but searching for individual shots that I loved took a while.

Sparky is perhaps a bit more needy and definitely more cuddly than before, but overall seems to be coping as well as could be expected.

Lovely photos, Lani. My Oliver always quietly walked away if dogs in the park got too playful - if you've got a headache, the last thing you need is a big dog bowling you over! CM/SM creeps into every corner of life, and so many symptoms we only recognise with hindsight. Hope you and Sparky are getting on OK.

:hug:

Kate and Ruby (and remembering with tears Oliver and Aled who both died last February)

I'm so sorry, Lani! You've shared a beautiful tribute to Lucky, who was indeed lucky to have you as his human.

So Sorry for your loss

Hi, my name is Karen and I just lost my Churchill, October 28th this year to MVS. He went into Congestive Heart Failure and we had to put him down. He was also a Ruby. I want another dog so badly, but afraid it is too soon. Your Lucky was a beautiful dog and I know how much you miss him. Hopefully Churchill and Lucky are playing together in Heaven. Hugs . . :(

Lani, I am heartbroken to learn of Lucky's passing. Your slideshow was beautiful and made me cry. I remember you and your gorgeous Ruby boys from another Cavalier Board years ago where I was known as Lottie's Mom. I joined this one earlier this year because Lottie was having major health issues and wanted to see if anyone had similar issues. This was the first time I posted. I know how you are feeling, Lottie passed away in May. She was just shy of a month past her 10th birthday. I miss her so much. Hugs to you and Sparky.

Lottie's Mom

I'm so sorry that you lost your beloved Lottie last May. Sadly, too many Cavaliers die at too young an age (10 should not be old for a small breed) and always leave such a hole in our lives.

Thinking of you :hug:

Kate and Ruby

Back