• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Recurring digestive issues in my Cavalier pup

Hello all! I have a 9 month old Cavalier who I've had since July - she's my first Cavalier and I'm absolutely loving her! I've noticed some patterns in her eating habits and I'm not sure what to try next.

I'm currently feeding her Natural Balance grain free kibble with chicken and sweet potato. I also mix in a little bit of the same wet food for flavor. Normally, she loves it and eats it quickly! However, about once every 1-2 weeks, she will have these episodes where she will not even so much as sniff her food! After skipping that meal, and sometimes the next, she will generally go back to normal and eat with her usual gusto. She has normal stools, keeps drinking water, and never vomits, but I do notice a LOT of loud stomach noises when this happens. I have also noticed as of the last week or so that her breath has become REALLY stinky - to me, it smells kind of metallic, like blood. Not sure if this is related.

The vet said that she has a sensitive stomach, and isn't super concerned with this since there are not more severe symptoms accompanying them. I do not feed her people food at all, but do give her training treats and the occasional bully stick.

Any suggestions on my next step would be appreciated! Thanks!

Does she have any access to cat litter boxes or do you have cats that visit the garden? I just wonder if maybe she's eating car feces which can give pretty bad breath and might upset the stomach. It sounds like maybe this is due to her regularly eating something minor that upsets her stomach a bit.

Or, if that seems unlikely, you might try a food with another protein source. Chicken is one of the more common meats associated with food intolerances. Perhaps try something with duck, venison, turkey or fish etc?

On the other hand: I've found young dogs (and cats) often go through phases of upset stomach until they get to adulthood. We had this issue with one of our other breed dogs for example. He still has a bit of a sensitive stomach, compared to his sister.

It doesn't sound like to much of a concern if it isn't affecting her otherwise, though.

Do you switch up the flavors of the wet food a little? I give my guys dry kibble with a little wet mixed in, but I do vary the flavors of the wet food. Every now and then they get a big surprise with some table scraps thrown in. I don't think anyone (dog or human) would want to eat the exact same thing everyday.

I do have one dog who will miss a meal or two every now and then. She is 7 years old and healthy, but every now and then she decides to "boycott" whatever I put down. I give her ample time to eat, but if she does not eat it, I just pick up the bowl, so my other two dogs don't overeat. I find that she does this after a few meals where I tossed some table scraps in. I think its her way of telling me that she prefers some table food, and will opt not to eat if its all dog food.

Dogs will not starve themselves. If she is otherwise active and alert, with good bowel movements, don't stress over an occassional missed meal. I know that Bosco (my CKC) had a rumbly tummy for his first year. He got absolutely no snacks that first year as anything would set his tummy off resulting in loose stools. Be careful with the amount of snacks and you may want to limit even the bully stick. While he is much, much better now (he is 4), I still am very careful with what he gets.

Would love to see pictures of your pup! There is nothing like a cavalier!

JOan

Back