• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dietary help for anal glands?

Soushiruiuma

My darling boy has started having his anal glands fill quite quickly and it's a hassle for me to bring him to the vet to get them done properly. I know there are some dietary options that can help lengthen the time between getting those expressed. Looking for suggestions.

His poops are usually firm, and extremely regular (like same time every day). His food currently is "spoiled baby food", it's those dog food sausages (it's food, not treats, but it's packaged as a soft sausage). He's a picky eater and I don't like fighting with him over dinner, and he just goes wild over these.

Any help?

It sounds as if he needs more roughage as his regular food is soft. You can add bran, give him bones to chew, or my Ruby has a raw egg with her breakfast once a week and that includes happily eating the shell! Anything that helps his poops rub the anal glands in passing, which encourages them to expel their liquid. Bran would probably be easiest to mix gradually with his normal food so that it isn't so soft - but I'm not sure of what the daily amount would be, probably around a teaspoon. I'm sure somebody else will be able to tell you.

There's always something with our Cavaliers! Ask your vet to show you how to express anal glands yourself - it's not difficult and would save you time (and money!).

Kate and Ruby

Leo had terrible problems with his anal glands so I feel your pain :shock::shock:

I used to give him about 3 tea spoons for Oatbran on his dinner once a day.....it seemed to help.

Good luck XX

OK. I'll see about picking up some bones for him. He does enjoy those. And he should probably take to oat bran well enough.

He's not much of a chewer, and never has been- I'd probably get yelled at for making his eggs wrong if I left the shell in!

Today I had accidentally bought a discounted jar of dog food that turned out to be vegetarian (label only in german!), a small amount of salmon fixed the flavour, and Guinness ate 100g of Spelt and Zucchini tonight! Hopefully that will clear him a little.

Last edited:
Back