Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help help please mvd am dry eye pancreatitis

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am so sorry. You clearly care deeply and have a such a big heart -- big enough to feel the right decision there, because you care so much. Many of us have been in your shoes, and can understand fully and share your pain and grief at having to make such a choice. But it is a gift of kindness for them too -- to end suffering when it gets to be too much. Toby found a wonderful loving home with you even if far too brief. I hope you will in time, and when you are ready, find another little one to cuddle and care for, as you have so much to offer. Thinking of you.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Tansy : Mindy Connie Roxy Neasa Gus
    In memory: My beautiful Jaspar Lucy Leo Lily Libby

2. Likes gaynor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry Gaynor. I had to make the same decision almost a year ago for my 13-year-old Oliver - his heart was strong, he was eating well but on the whole his quality of life was poor and it seemed so mean to just keep him going, so selfish on my part. I still miss him but he had given me so much in the 12 years I had had him that I knew I couldn't let him down at the end. Well done for not letting Toby down either, for not hanging onto him when he was clearly ready to go but doing the most loving thing for him. He will always have a place in your heart and you will always miss him, even if, when the time is right, you share your love with another dog.

Kate and Ruby

4. Likes gaynor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I feel so sad for you but you have given Toby everything you can and now it is an act of love to let him go.
    He was lucky to have ended his life in your care.

My very best wishes to you.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

6. Likes gaynor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Toby my boy is still with me

Hi everyone I am just asking if you can give me some advice , my Toby has sm,ch . Mvd,dry eye , terrible disc problems , also prone to pancreatitis .
    toby has been on lots of medication since his diagnosis with all his problems , he is on vetmedin , Pardale v , frusemide , Lypex , ranitidine , ledetiracetam , gabapentin , metacam , cyclosporine eye drops .
    his problem now is he was terminal at Christmas but since all these pills he did pick up , I have had to find low fat food because pancreatitis , now he still has most of his problems still looks like he gets shocks to his body he is walking more stiffly his ears overheat and his head gets very warm, but his biggest problem is when he has his food his tummy is solid as if it is not moving through, then tea time he seems as if he really is blown up , could this be the medication he is on ? I would love to hear from people who have had dogs with sm ch , mvd ............ My vet said if the drugs work just see if he is still happy , she does not want to up his medication she thinks he has a limited time . He lies at night with a swollen belly type he is doing about 4 poohs a day I just want to make him happier , his tail wags and he loves a love lies on his back so you can keep rubbing his belly his tummy gurgles. Sorry to go on , Bella my other cavy is doing well a bit better with her nerves , her front legs displasher Is not causing any problems I would love to get the person who kept my dogs in cages and put them in one and leave them in a long time see how they would feel .
    Last edited by gaynor; 21st July 2016 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Move my message to another block

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds to me as if Toby may have a build-up of fluid in his abdomen. In the last months of his battle with MVD my Aled had this several times - looked as if he was expecting 6 puppies! The vet gave him an extra diuretic on top of the frusemide and the fluid dispersed within a day and then he stopped the extra medication; came back again a couple of weeks later but was dealt with in the same way. This is very usual with MVD, as the heart just doesn't push hard enough to keep the fluid circulating and it can back up in the lungs or abdomen.

The jerks are myoclonus, which is small electric shocks in the underneath of the brain that momentarily disconnect the neurons; very common in older Cavaliers. Aled had it too and like Toby was on levetiracetem. Oddly enough, having been quite well controlled for a couple of years, it got worse in the last few months of his life.

Are you managing to get all these pills down Toby OK? Aled had 18 a day to take and I found the easiest way was to crush them in a pestle and mortar (taking the gabapentin out of its case), add a little water and honey, put it in a plastic syringe (saved from an old metacam bottle!) and just squirt it into the side of his mouth.

Do you have a buggy? Aled enjoyed being able to go out and about with me and Oliver, walking a little way if he felt able and then being popped back to watch the world go by. If you think Toby would enjoy it, mine is on loan to someone, but her Cavalier has just died, so if you haven't got one I could organise for Ruth to get it to you.

Take care of yourself too. Looking after a dog in heart failure is enormously stressful - apart from anything else, you don't feel you can give someone else the responsibility of coming in for an hour or so to give midday pills and check on Toby, so your social life ends up non-existent! Your world narrows to sick dogs, always looking out for the next disaster. I had my Oliver ill at the same time - he and Aled were put to sleep within 5 days of each other, and part of me is never going to recover from the stress of those last few months. So give yourself a few little treats - a new book or DVD, a box of chocolates, a plant for the garden - whatever cheers you on.

I'll message you with my phone number and email - do get in touch to have a chat if that will help. Feel free to get angry at the end of the phone - I get very angry about MVD, it is awful to watch and so unnecessary - it could have been eliminated from Cavaliers years ago if breeders had just bothered to do something about it.

Kate and Ruby

9. Likes gaynor liked this post