• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Prince has a cataract ...He is not yet 4 years old....

rosemary

I no longer work as I had to retire due to ill health and vet is saying £3000 for laser treatment....And that's just one eye....

Am so worried about him....He never had this at Xmas so it's fast ....Had anyone got any experience of this......,.I have just got his IBS under control and now this....

Vet did say if it's in one eye then he's likely to get in other one X

Hi Rosemary

So sorry you have had to wait a couple of days for a reply - not that I have personal experience of dogs with cataracts. It is tough for both of you that Prince has developed this cataract at such a young age, and that treatment is going to be so expensive. However, because he is young, Prince may be able to adapt more easily to loss of sight in one eye - especially since I think cataracts aren't particularly painful?? Dogs don't know they are ill, Prince isn't thinking 'Oh dear, I'm not going to be able to see out of one eye, that's going to make life difficult'. He will adjust to the situation much better than humans can, even if he loses sight in the other eye as well - he will just depend a bit more on your help (don't move the furniture around!). I have spoken to people with partially sighted or blind dogs and almost all of them have said how well their dogs manage. Not easy decisions to make, and I'm sure other people on this forum will have experience to share, whereas I am just passing on secondhand views!

But nothing secondhand about my concern...

Kate and Ruby the Cavalier

Back