• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Won't stop

quoman

Hi everyone. are your cavvies the same as mine ?. When we are out walking, my two simply won't stop toileting, during a one mile walk they will stop for number two's about three times each and will cock their legs up practically every five paces. This happens every time we go for a walk, I'm getting to the point where I feel like just letting them run around in the garden and forget the walking, or toilet trip as I call it !!!

Leo used to stop and cock his leg after every few yards too! I think it was more of a "Marking territory" than actually peeing.
I just used to march on with purpose as if to say "No we're walking today not letting everyone know you've been here!"

We have a dog like this. :)

There's no right or wrong way of going for a walk, really -- some people are happy to let their dogs stop all the time, while others like a walk that's more a managed march, and most of us likely fall in the middle.

On Poop :p -- Some dogs do seem to need to poop several times on a walk! Others get it all done in one go. It is a great idea to actually train them to go at the start -- Ian Dunbar explains how to do this in the downloads section on www.dogstardaily.com. I think it's in the After You Get Your Puppy book (free download) but also in the online training manual. Never too late to train them if this sounds attractive.

Even with dogs that naturally need a couple of poops, there are those that just will keep stopping to go. I was only just discussing this issue with a trainer friend who agreed with my guess that this has moved into the realm of 'marking' and can become a nuisance. You don;t have to stop and allow them to go, but (as with marking with urine) you do need to set a command that means to move along. I use '[dog name], walk on!' but you could pick anything that you don't use in other contexts (like 'let's go', which you might use at other times to mean other things, which weakens it as a command for a single desired action.

On peeing -- same as above, you can allow a bit for relieving themselves, and then some for marking now and then, but I don't let the walk be all about marking.

We can all forget that dogs don;t understand what we don't teach them. We might want them to keep moving but just saying their name, or 'no,' etc must be very confusing. Imagine walking with someone who expects you to figure out what they want after only saying your name or telling you 'no' -- 'no, but no WHAT?'. Training some new commands can create easier walks! :D And make things easier for people and dogs.

Hmmm...I never thought of this as being anything but normal. Bentley likes to pee on any taller grass that's in his path, just because he can, I guess. The only time I try to stop him from pooping is if he's at the edge of someone's yard. I just assume the exercise makes him want to go more.

Back