• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tilly's last few days

RuthM

Hi all - my darling little Tilly will be going to sleep for the last time on Thursday afternoon :( The nerve damage due to SM has caused severe muscle loss and she is now unable to walk unaided. She also has CHF. She is snuggled up to me now (puffing like a steam train).

This site has been a lifeline for us - from the support received when we first noticed her symptoms - and help during this last year. Kate - the buggy has been wonderful - she has been able to come for walks with us - and she has become well known in our village (Tilly in her chariot!)

Please keep her in your thoughts - I have never had to have a dog euthanized before - I so hope she has a peaceful passing. Her vet has talked me through it today which has been a comfort.

It has been such a joy to have her - she has brought happiness and such love into our lives. What a void she will leave.

Please send your thoughts of peace to my little pickle on Thursday.

Thanks guys for all you support.

Ruth xx

I'm so sorry. The decision you are making is the ultimate act of love for Tilly. I'm sure I don't have to tell you to hold her close for the next few days, and when her heart stops beating, she will then live in your heart forever.
Love and prayers as you go through this difficult time.

So sorry that Tilly has reached the end of the road, but it sounds clear that it is the right and loving thing to do. If she is in heart failure, she will just slip away very quickly, knowing to the end that she is greatly loved. Every dog we lose leaves their own hole in our heart that no other dog can ever fill - they in turn will bring their own special character and love.

So glad the buggy helped. Thinking of you. :hug:

Kate and Ruby

Ruth
I am so sorry to hear about Tilly.....what you are going to do for her is indeed an act of great love. With you by her side she wont be afraid when she finally passes on.
I will of course I will think of you at this sad time.

Take care

Mel :hug:

Hi Ruth

This must have been such a tough day for you, but I hope everything went smoothly and peacefully for Tilly and for you. You'll probably be crying your eyes out, but that's normal. It takes time to adjust not just to not having Tilly around, but also moving from being a full-time carer/nurse back to normal life. When Aled and Oliver died last year I had to keep reminding myself that I didn't need to be around at lunchtime to administer pills! So be gentle with yourself, give yourself a few little treats and above all take time to grieve.

Love from Kate and Ruby :hug:

I'm so sorry about Tilly. Today must have been so hard, not getting her bowl of food out, no medications to give, no big eyes looking up at you. I still cry about my old man Oliver who we put to sleep last year at age 14 and a half. Even though he lived a good, long life it was hard not to get that 4th bowl out in the mornings, not to hear his impatient harrumph when I wasn't fast enough with his food. Like Kate said, I cried my eyes out, and then I cried them out some more. But as everyone says, time is a great healer and then you do remember the great times you had and the cute little puppy they once were and all the little antics and all the sickness and heartache seems to fade into the distance. I hope it's the same for you.

Like a mirror, we reflect back all the love that these sweet little beings give to us.
Tilly knew how much you loved her, for she loved you just as much. When our little guy passed, we were overwhelmed with grief. But, with time, our thoughts went from sadness to smiles, as stories of his mischievous puppyhood replaced the sadness of his passing. It definitely takes time, there is no cure for that, but the smiles will be there.

Bless you all so much for your kind messages and advice. At the moment it seems that that each day is hurting a little more :( when we make a sandwich, open the fridge, just walk around the house. Our home seems to have lost it's soul and it is so very quiet. She passed peacefully on Thursday and we were able to spend time with her after. Her ashes came back to us today with a little paw print and some fur. You're right - it's the routine that you miss - and that special little language only you and your dog speak. It's like you have all of this love and nowhere to put it anymore. Goodness - I knew it would be hard, but I wasn't prepared for such grief. It is truly comforting to know that the pain eases eventually. Can't thank you enough - I've just read your messages out to my husband and daughter (20) - and although we are crying right now - we hope and pray that soon we can smile again when we think of our little girl. xxx

Ruth
It does take time. I lost my wonderful boy Leo last October. Like you we cried and cried...the house was and still is too quiet. We can talk about him now and laugh and things he did.
I still find myself having a quiet cry every now and again and its been 8 months.
Last week my daughter had some water left in a bottle and actually bent down to fill up Leo's water bowl !!

Sending hugs and thinking of you...

Mel

I still miss and shed the odd tear or two for all the Cavaliers I've loved and eventually lost since the early 1990s. I also smile a lot when I remember all the things they did and the joy their love and friendship has brought to me over the years I had them. Losing Rebel hurt the most I think because I so wanted him to reach is 12th birthday and to have one last chicken dinner, but 6 days before the big day life suddenly became unbearable for him, so we had to say goodbye.

Over the years I learnt that the best way for me to overcome the grief of the loss of one dog was to bring a new puppy into the equation, but for so many good reasons, Holly P was the last pup 7 1/2 years ago.

Ruth I am so sorry to hear you had to say goodbye to your beautiful Tilly. I said goodbye to DJ and Gus last year and it was so hard but in time the pain has eased. I still get bad days. Each of them left me with special memories all their own. I still have Pippin but he has MVD and Dementia, so is on borrowed time.
Take all the time you need to grieve and allow yourself to cry. I like you was surprised at just how heartbreaking and hard it was to lose them. Sending you much love, Theresa xxx

Last edited:
RuthM - I am so sorry. I've been there, done that, and know the hurt and grief. It took me three months and, in the end, a new puppy to pull me out of my sadness. Sending you big hugs!

So sorry that you are feeling sad. Tilly was well loved and you did the bravest thing you could for her. I hope the coming days get easier for all of you..

Big hugs..

joan

Back