• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Fish oil supplements if it is already in food?

My cavalier, Nicholas, was diagnosed with a grade 2-3 heart murmur/MVD about a month ago. We took him to the cardiologist who confirmed the diagnosis. He said that he doesn't recommend any supplements because research doesn't support them. I just moved to a different state and am in the process of finding a local holistic vet in order to balance the traditional approach of the cardiologist. But I would like to get him started on basic supplements in the mean time, before consulting with a vet for more specific needs.

I did quite a bit of research and decided that CoQ10 and fish oil/vitamin E would be a good start for now. He has been receiving fish oil since February but it is at a smaller dose than what is recommended for heart health. But during my research I realized that his food (Acana grain-free) is already supplemented with Vitamin D/herring oil. Now I've started to worry that he has been receiving too much fish oil since February. I haven't been able to figure out how much fish oil Acana contains since the analysis only gives percentages. The best I can figure out is that it is a 3:1 ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3.

Does anyone give fish oil supplements along with Acana? If so, what dosage do you give? Any other tips for supplementing for MVD health would be great!

Back