• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

UK suppliers of raw meat for dog food (southhampton)

Soushiruiuma

Hello everyone,

Life is leading me to return to the US. We will be sailing out of Southhampton on the QM2 the first week of September bound for NY.

I need to bring food for Guinness for his 7 day cruise. At home he is eating a raw diet. I rehydrated a cereal/veggie mixture with warm water and mix that with a meat/bones product that we buy at a local pet shop. Guinness loves this food, and it's worked amazingly on keeping his anal glands empty (his poops are like solid rocks, but he doesn't seem to mind at all, very easy to pick up too).

I won't be able to transport lots of frozen meat across Europe and into the UK, so I'm hoping I'll be able to pick up some of the meat for his food before we get on the ship (I will have 24 hours in Southhampton before we sail to accomplish this task).

Does anyone know of common pet chains that may operate in the area, and especially ones that usually stock these meat and bone products? Or anyone with more specific knowledge of the Southhampton pet shops?

Give me the names of the products you're looking for (or a more detailed description!) and I'll ask for information on the Companion Cavalier Club FB page - I know we have at least one savvy member in that area.

Hope you and Guinness have a good journey home.

Kate and Ruby

Ah, thanks. Um the stuff I buy is labeled entirely in german. It says "hundefutter" (dog food), and the ingredients list runs like "meat, organ stuff, bones", I add in the veggies and grains. It's part of the BARF style of feeding, our were frozen "sausage" style meat/organ/bone/blood mixtures (he loves the blood, best part). This is an example of what I'd be looking for. This seems to incorporate the veggies already, which would be fine. But I have no brand loyalty (we use a made in switzerland from swiss meat brand), I want to get the product I want local to the area I'll be in. I do want EU/US sourced meats (EU includes UK), just because I like to trust my source.

http://honeysrealdogfood.com/range/

I've posted you information and the link on the Companion Club FB page. If you think Honey's would be reliable, you might be able to order stuff online and arrange with your Southampton hotel (I presume you'll be sleeping somewhere!) to have it delivered there. We have a member down in Portsmouth who might take an order in for you and it would be an easy journey for you to go and pick it up - but let's see what turns up! :xfngr:

Kate and Ruby

Yes, we will have a hotel, but just for one night. Although it seems the Honey's has a tight shipping schedule, so they may be able to accommodate that we'd only have a post address for 1 day.

I'll wait a while to hear back from your other forum though before locking into that.

A Companion Club member who lives near Portsmouth says there is a very good pet shop at Fareham, about 30 minutes from Southampton. You shouldn't find it difficult to visit them, by bus or train. If you think they will have suitable food for Guinness, you could contact them in advance and order what you want and then just collect it on your Southampton day. They might even deliver it for you. Their address is http://www.farehampets.co.uk Shirley says 'They stock Natural Instinct raw & lots of german makes, so might be worth giving them a call, very helpful man runs it.'

Hope this helps,

Kate and Ruby

More recommendations for feeding Pure when travelling - it's dehydrated raw, just add water and it makes a nice gravy for the meat.

Kate and Ruby

Back