• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vetmedin Chewables

mom4bella

My cavalier Bella, has been started on Vetmedin. It's a chewable tablet, but she will not take it that way. I was told to give it 1 hour before a meal, or 2 hours after, so I can't sneak it in her food. I have been wrapping it in a thin layer of her canned food, and she will take it really well...However, she's swallowing it whole, and not chewing it...Does anyone else have this problem, and is it still as effective?? Thank You!!
Kristen

That's fine to do. When my Sydney took it, I did the same thing. I wrapped it in sliced meats, bread, peanut butter, etc. Anything that he would take it in.

I recently bought this for the first time, i don't think it's Vetmedin brand, i think it's just pimobendan, the drug that was branded by Vetmedin---anyway, i wanted to say that i went to a compounding pharmacy and got it in liquid form, it comes with a marked syringe to take in the right amount of medication. The syringe fits into the special top that came with the bottle, you remove the top it came with and attach the top that fits with the syringe, so you can just keep the syringe in the bottle and it's there when you need it. I was told it came in grilled chicken flavor and liver flavor. i got the grilled chicken. I could use either one i think. The pharmacist said it doesn't need to be refrigerated.

Anyway, i haven't started him on it yet, i'm still researching it and don't see it as being an urgent rush. He isn't diagnosed with CHF. but he has enlarging heart over the past two years and severe regurgitation. He doesn't have exercise resistance or rapid breathing and if the EPIC study of pimobendan hadn't been published last year recommending use before CHF, his cardiologist would not have prescribed any medication for him at this time, but it's his second cardio eval, two years apart and the condition is progressing, heart enlargement from mild to moderate, regurgitation from moderate to severe. He's 11 1/2 years old. What troubles me the most is, he has that cough and it doesn't sound good. I hope the medication will result in reduced coughing. it's already reduced, apparently by a homeopathic remedy i read about on the Cavalier Health Vet Info page, one vet's experience in giving spongia tosta to a cavalier who was on full meds for CHF, and no impromvement in the cough so she reports that she tried this remedy, i'm oversimplifying, it's written up in a journal article, but after i read that, i thought, why not, it can't hurt anything. and it actually made a dramatic difference in the frequency of the cough, from on average once every hour to about 4-6 times a day since starting the remedy. wow. cool. But the way the cough sounds, it scares me a lot. So i hope the pimobendan might clear it up.

I'm hesitant, because of the risks. i was just reading on the Vetmedin site about the Quest study they are citing, it compared Vetmedin to an ACE inhibitor and the results showed similar for both drugs, which they say is evidence that Vetmedin is safe--one of the examples they give is that almost 40% of the subject dogs got new arrhythmias when on the pimobendan, while on ACE inhibitor, 45% got new arrhythmias, and this was presented to show that Vetmedin is safe...i'm not sure i understand that right. Zack doesn't have arrhythmias now, and 39.4% is a high percentage to be at risk of. i think once he starts on meds, the door will be opened to new health problems related to the meds, and it's always a matter of weighing the risk and the benefit, so i'm trying to learn about that right now, for his current condition. It's clear enough that if he gets to CHF, there must be meds for his comfort. i am wanting to understand what the symptomatic benefit is of the pimobendan, again, his comfort. Adverse reactions reported on the Vetmedin website and elsewhere, are lack of appetite, diarrhea, lethargy, difficulty breathing, weakness and lack of coordination. No info on the percentage of dogs expected to have those effects would be, would like to find that out.

Anyway, about the liquid pimobendan, i thought i would just squirt it in his mouth, next to the back teeth but the pharmacist said i could put it on his food. He said i could squirt it in his mouth too if i want. I asked for the liquid because i don't trust Zack to eat the chewables. He might or he might not. there are treats that he won't eat, and i never know. He's never been picky about food, just about treats. lol. There's another compounding pharmacy that makes something they call Tiny Tabs, and they are tiny, so they're easy to get into a dog by mouth, but i want to try the liquid.

Not getting into the rather controversial pros and cons of when to start giving vetmedin, but just to say I find squirting medicine into their mouth a much more accurate way of giving liquid than putting it on their food. In fact when my Aled was in the last stages of CHF and got fed up with having to take 18 pills a day, I ground them up, added a teaspoon of honey and some water, put it into a syringe and squirted the whole lot down him 3 times a day. It seemed to work,anyway!

Hope the vetmedin will help Zack.

Kate and Ruby

Back