• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Fighting Cavalier's

Chalycav

Hey everyone,

For man years now i have worked in a dog kennel where we take in stray or beaten dogs and bring them back to full health it is something we have great passion for. 3 years ago a black and white puppy cavalier came in and i just had to adopt him straight away he was so cute and was found in a park on his own, i named him Chaly and we have been best friends since. Then 3 weeks ago another Cavalier came in but this king Charles cavalier must be around the age of 5, same kind of background story you know how it goes, and i took him home also to give Chaly a friend and help out the new ginger and white Cavalier named Puggzy (the name came with the dog). Anyway the first day of introducing them seemed to go ok, little bit uncomfortable for Chaly but ok. Now hell breaks loose all the time they are fighting constantly i can't feed them together walking them can be a nightmare and i feel bad because Chaly the original dog in the house is loosing the majority of the times. I'm not sure what to do? i wan't to keep Puggzy but Chaly comes first either way no matter what i have to do.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated guys!!

Trust me not my dogs but the same colors...
cavalier-king-charles-spaniel-1-300x210.jpg

Thanks

For any of the readers out there i have just been told this on another forum

(QUOTE)
"First don't let them escalate the situation. If they start getting tense or sizing each other up separate them by space only. A good way to keep the distance is doing the touch. By making your hand into a claw like shape and poking right behind the ear. Keep the dogs separate and they will learn that that behavior is not accepted. You may need another person to occupy both dogs. If they are already fighting, make sure you are not going to get bit and take the aggressor and flip him on his side and hold him down by the top of his neck until he stops squirming. Do not choke the dog the top of the neck should not interfere with breathing. This tells the dog biting will not be accepted in a dog language be sure to say "no" firmly too to associate the consequence with the word. Do not get angry or scared they feel this. You never want your dog biting other dogs because if they bite a strangers' dog, it's a death sentence for your pooch. Be sure to socialize these dogs too. I have not hat a pit bite anything from children to strange dogs due to proper socialization. It is crucial for the safety of your furry friends." (QUOTE)

looks like we will get the answers we want, my dogs will be friends soon enough

Hey everyone,

For man years now i have worked in a dog kennel where we take in stray or beaten dogs and bring them back to full health it is something we have great passion for. 3 years ago a black and white puppy cavalier came in and i just had to adopt him straight away he was so cute and was found in a park on his own, i named him Chaly and we have been best friends since. Then 3 weeks ago another Cavalier came in but this king Charles cavalier must be around the age of 5, same kind of background story you know how it goes, and i took him home also to give Chaly a friend and help out the new ginger and white Cavalier named Puggzy (the name came with the dog). Anyway the first day of introducing them seemed to go ok, little bit uncomfortable for Chaly but ok. Now hell breaks loose all the time they are fighting constantly i can't feed them together walking them can be a nightmare and i feel bad because Chaly the original dog in the house is loosing the majority of the times. I'm not sure what to do? i wan't to keep Puggzy but Chaly comes first either way no matter what i have to do.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated guys!!

Trust me not my dogs but the same colors...
cavalier-king-charles-spaniel-1-300x210.jpg

Thanks

It's all starting to come together now, i found some great dog training books online at the link provided below you should check it out, also check out the links in the above writing because there is loads of information there as well..

http://www.forsale.co.za/

For the readers

Glad you are getting the situation sorted. A typical battle over who is going to be head of the household! It always seems unfair if the dog in residence gets beaten up by the newcomer and our instinct is to defend him, but dogs need to sort the precedence out for themselves - as long as they don't murder each other in the process! With the prevalence of Syringomyelia in Cavaliers, I would not hold either of them down by their neck as it could be painful or do damage.

I notice one of the links you give is a South African site - do you live in SA? I had my first Cavalier there in the 1980s; I lived in Johannesburg for about 9 years.

All the best

Kate and Ruby (like your two, she's a rescue)

Back