• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Opinions on Runts

I have a new Cavalier puppy due to come home January 17th, 2017. I do not know which pup I am getting yet. There is a runt in the litter that of course is very cute! I am interested in hearing peoples opinions on 'runts' as to whether they have health issues or are they just smaller than the rest. Should I stay away from the runt?

Thanks so much for any replies

I chose the runt of the litter and at almost 5 years old she has no health issues. She had a weak/unstable patella until she was full grown but no longer has the issue. I think health issues have much less to do with being the runt and more to do with the health of the dogs being bred.

Last edited:
Our next-door neighbors chose the runt of a Bichon Frisé litter. That was the sweetest dog who lived a good, long life, and I never heard of any health issues.

Back