• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Breeder choosing puppy for you

Hello there from Canada

It seems that breeders these days choose a puppy for you based on your activity level and experience (which I am fine with). Has anyone else had experience with this? I have researched breeders endlessly and have found one that is very reputable but she is 12+ hours away. She is choosing the puppy for me and it is being shipped by air. Has anyone else out there has this experience? I am finding that I am anxious because I am spending so much money and I am buying based on a small photo. This is hard for a control freak! :p

Thanks for any replies

I have no direct experience of this situation, but given distances in Canada, you don't seem to have much option! You could ask the breeder to send you more photos of the puppy she has chosen for you, so that you can start thinking of a pet name and getting used to colour etc. With mobile phones, taking pictures is so easy these days, and I bet she's taking pictures for herself! Given Cavalier puppies, you'll probably fall in love anyway the minute it emerges from the crate! It would be different if you were wanting a show dog, then I think it would be essential to have some say in your choice - but I'm sure you'll get a great pet.

Please send us pictures when your puppy arrives!

Kate and Ruby

I must say, I have mixed feelings about a breeder picking out a puppy for a prospective owner. With a Cavalier pup going for $3,000 + now, in the US, I would want to make sure that the dog I brought home was the "one". Why can't the breeder send photo's of all of the available puppies and let you choose the one you want? How can she possibly determine that a certain pup is a match for you? Just my two cents worth... I hope everything worked out with your new puppy. :)

Well... I wouldn't buy a dog based on a mere photograph... It pleases me to see that your breeder has high ratings but you should see if they have all the proper papers and proof that the dog is healthy.

I don't like it because the dog is shipped by air.. I have mixed feeling about it. Make sure you are not getting into any kind of trap. Canada is a well established country but still, there can be a few individuals who may not be doing their job well..

See if you could convince the breeder to skype with you and to video the dog from all angles and up close, you should see its body, fur, eyes, teeth and etc to make sure that the dog is healthy.

Back