Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help and advice , please help.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard from Chestergates, the neurologist wasn't willing to give me any advise ,because it was over three months since Ellie was there. They did say that he would phone my vet and have a chat with her, but as yet I haven't heard anything.
    Ellie hasn't had another seizure, and for now she is doing ok....eating well and enjoying her daily walks.
    If the seizures return, or she generally declines, I will seriously think of taking her back to Chestergates.......My hope was that they could perhaps suggest altering her medication without the stress of taking her all that way, but I should have known that wouldn't happen. I sent a Vidio clip of Ellie's head bobbing and facial twitches and described how she toppled over sometimes when she was sitting down.... Maybe he will contact my vet, but somehow I doubt it.
    Thank you for asking Kate...

Post Thanks / Like

Could you not contact Luca - after all he was the one who treated Ellie originally and would remember her (I gave you his current address on an earlier post)? If only for someone to say that her twitching is myoclonus and then your vet can prescribe levetiracetam, which would deal with one problem and make Ellie more comfortable. If you're going to pay for another consultation, would Liverpool University be nearer? Anyway, I'm glad Ellie's doing OK and enjoying life.

Kate and Ruby

Post Thanks / Like

I will contact Luca, the reason I tried Chestergates first was because her X-rays will be there . If he insists on seeing her, it would be easier for us to get there. I wonder why my vet didn't suspect she has myoclonus , she thinks it's part of her SM......I do think she has it, it fits all the description of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been in touch with Luca, who has been amazing with his help and advice.
    I emailed him with all the information about Ellie, and also sent him a Vidio clip of her when she was having a head jerking attack......He emailed me back and asked my permission to pass the clip around some of the other neurologists in the practice....They are in aggrement that Ellie has not got Myoclonus activity, but that she is having Focal seizures.......
    Luca has said, if the seizures are getting progressively worse and causing distress, that I should think about putting her on Phenobarbitone......Something I will need to discuss with my own vet, as apparently it has side affects.
    He also said I should think about her having another MRI scan, in the light of her recent seizure...But he fully understood if I didn't want to put her through that.....
    Has anyone got or had a dog taking Phenobarbitone?........I hate the thought of her having to take more medication, but don't think I will have much choice soon......

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My boy Little Joe is epileptic and has been taking Phenobarbitone for over 2 years now, possibly 3. Time has wings when you get to my age The vet takes bloods to test for liver malfunction twice yearly, without problems so far. I would recommend this drug to anyone with a dog subject to seizures. Little Joe has done so well with his treatment that he has become an active Pets As Therapy dog, visiting a care home and the Birmingham Children's Hospital for half days every week. Without the treatment he would never have been able to overcome his fears to lead a near normal active life as he now does.

Luca sounds like a very good and caring neurologist from what you say. My boy Rebel was diagnosed with SM at Chestergates too. Although he only attended once for a MRI scan my vet was always able to liaise with the neurologist there for advice about his treatment.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Flo, thank you for the reassurance you have given me. Does Little Joe also have SM? And if yes, does he also have treatment for that along side the treatment for the seizures?......
    Luca did mention about the blood tests.
    Luca isn't at Chestergates now, he is at a practice in Cheshire, and yes I am very lucky he is giving me so much advice.
    He is away now until May, but has given me the number of his coliege in case I have further questions while he is away.
    There are nice people in this world. ��
    Last edited by ann; 20th April 2017 at 04:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Ann, our Pippin had epilepsy when he was 5 he was having seizures. He was put on Phenobarbital which I think is the same as Phenobarbitone. He did very well on it for 5 years on it. He had regular blood tests to check his liver while on it, he actually outgrew the epilepsy and was weaned off it aged 10.
    He doesn't have SM but he does have MVD/CHF and was on medication for that also. He is still with us at 13.
    Wishing you well xx
    Gus(blenhiem) Nov 2001 - Dec 2015 Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby) June 2004 - Nov 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I think my next step should be to see my own vet and get Ellie's bloods done to make sure she is Ok to have the Phenobarbitone. Another thing that bothers her now is traveling in the car, she pants a lot now, wheras she used to be fine on car journeys,simply just sleeping .
    Nice to hear that Pippin grew out of the seizures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    Hello Flo, thank you for the reassurance you have given me. Does Little Joe also have SM? And if yes, does he also have treatment for that along side the treatment for the seizures?......
    Luca did mention about the blood tests.
    Luca isn't at Chestergates now, he is at a practice in Cheshire, and yes I am very lucky he is giving me so much advice.
    He is away now until May, but has given me the number of his coliege in case I have further questions while he is away.
    There are nice people in this world. ��
    Hello Ann

Fortunately Little Joe does not have SM so far as I know, because it's always possible for a dog to have it but show no symptoms. He was scanned at the university vet. school when he was a couple of years old, partly to check in case it was SM, but more importantly to see whether he might have had any brain damage or trauma because of a fall downstairs when he was a puppy. He was clear on both counts.

The epilepsy is classed as Idiopathic (cause unknown), although the vets do accept my own observations that the fits were always brought on by stress.

The liver function tests are made every six months after the drug has been taken. My vet had no evidence to suggest that there was anything wrong with Joe's liver before he started taking the Phenobarb.

What an absolute treasure Lucca is. Rebel's scan was interpreted by Geoff Skerret (?sp) but he was treated by Dave, who advised my GP vet by 'phone and email several times over the years.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

I think Luca wants to have Ellie's blood tested before taking Phenobarbitone because she has been on the Pregabalin and Omoprozole for over two years and maybe she couldn't tolerate more drugs......I have made an appointment for her blood test on Thursday . Thank goodness the insurance never quibble about paying out!!