Thread: Dog cooling coats

Post Thanks / Like

Question Dog cooling coats

Does anyone have the dog cooling coats? Ellie like most Cavvies gets very hot, and I have the cooling mats for her to lie on. I have seen dogs wearing the cooling coats, but wondered what other people thought of them.....I am a bit worried that some people might point the finger and think. ( why would a dog be wearing a coat when it's hot ) .
    What does anyone think?........

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ann

Rather belatedly just catching up with Cavalier Talk and noticed your post hadn't been answered. I've just bought my first cool coat for 8-year-old Ruby, because temperatures have been soaring, as I expect they have in your part of the world. Ruby's is a very light coat, just a tabard style of water retaining fabric, with a back section that covers the back and sides well, and then a section that goes under the tummy and fastens with two velcro straps onto the top section. It keeps damp for a couple of hours and can be easily re-wetted without taking it off, simply by sprinkling with water out of a bottle. It also folds up small enough to fit easily into a rucksack and can be put away damp into its carrying bag. I got Ruby across London in 24 degrees last Saturday and she wasn't at all distressed. The only drawback is that Ruby is a big Cavalier with a long body, and in order to get the length, I got a size that is really a bit big for her (a Large) and I'll have to take a tuck in the shoulders to get a better fit; the Medium would be better for most Cavaliers. I pre-empted any comments whenever anyone stopped to say hello to Ruby by saying 'And if you're wondering why she's got a coat on, it's a special coat to keep her cool' and most people had never heard of them and were very interested and pleased to be told!

You can see the sort of coat that Ruby has here: www.ancol.co.uk/dog-products/coats/cooling-vests I particularly liked the strip under the tummy, because that does more than anything to keep the dog cool, and being out of direct sunlight. keeps damp for a long time.

How is Ellie doing?

All the best

Kate and Ruby

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Kate. Ellie is doing ok...ish. I notice that she is slowing down a lot, sleeping a lot too. A couple of weeks ago we were at our caravan when that very hot spell came. I did everything possible to try and keep her cool, but she wouldn't eat ( first time ever for her) but worse she couldn't keep water down. We came home and I had the vet check her out.....He said that her heart was a bit worse...grade 3 I think he said, but didn't want to put her on tablets just yet. She isn't coughing and still ok when she has her walks......But she is definitely sleeping a lot, but then she is nearly 11.
    Her SM is about the same, but I continue to worry about her all the time.......it's silly I should be glad I still have her.
    I will get her a cooling coat, to go along with the 3 chillo pads she has.....we also have a fan for her cage in the car, you can insert ice blocks in it........We have air con in the car too........Do ALL I can for my girl.......

Post Thanks / Like

A Grade 3 heart murmur shouldn't need any treatment and probably isn't responsible for Ellie's sleepiness. If she's on gabapentin or pregabalin for her SM, both of these can make them sleepy, especially in tiring weather and old age. If Ellie is like my Oliver, she may well never go into heart failure - he had a grade 4 murmur, no symptoms at all and lived to be 13. Inevitably we worry about them - nursing Aled in heart failure has left me checking that Ruby is still breathing when she is sound asleep and her breathing gets shallow; daft really as at 8 years old she still only has a grade 1 murmur, which for a Cavalier is a really good heart! If Ellie has trouble drinking again, try putting water into a biggish plastic syringe (the sort you get with metacam) and gently syringe it into the side of her mouth; she will automatically swallow. With SM dogs it can also help to hold the bowl up for them, as leaning down to drink can make their neck ache.

You might want to research cool coats, you can get many different sorts. I just liked the cool vest because it was easy to use and carry around, which is important for me as I don't have a car and appreciate lightweight things to put in my rucksack!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kate. We have Ellie's water bowl raised and also her food bowl because of her SM. I guess I am watching her too much . She didn't have trouble drinking, just couldn't keep it down, and the emergency vet gave us one of the big syringes.........And as much as I love the hot weather, I rather it stay cool for her sake.